PDA

View Full Version : correct tubing un rolling

mapleman3
02-09-2004, 02:32 PM
after unrolling out 1500 ft of tubing a week ago, I'm ready to do 2000 this next weekend, just a question, what is the easiest or most effective way to unroll as you go? I was just letting it strip off the side or the roll instead of off the end as you would with wire. is that the norm? it seemed to straighten the coils out once I tuged them tight. any thoughts?

Brian
02-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Jim, I hook the end of the tubing to the end tree, then let off 4 coils off the side as I go, then flip the coil of tubing to the other arm and let off 4coils off the side to offset it, this way you don't get kinks in it.
I do main line the same way except I get someone to follow the wire and pull the end of main line while I flip the coil back and forth 4 coils at a time.

PS make sure the ends of the main line are hooked to something!!

Brian

mapleman3
02-09-2004, 05:12 PM
ok thats cool, it's 5/16 tubing. I just wasn't switching arms, I will try that, but I did put the end ring on then roll out... cool, I'm not too backwards ;)

nysugarmaker
02-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Jim. Most of the maple suppliers now have an unrolling device that hangs on your mainline. You put the whole roll on it, grab the end and start walking. Bought one last fall, and it works GREAT!!! Would never go back to unrolling by hand. They are a little pricey through the catologe, about $60.00. Bet someone could make one pretty easy though. If i knew how to email pics i would, not that smart though. Bet my wife could. will have to ask her. Hope this helps! Dan

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-09-2004, 06:21 PM
I guess I'm the odd ball, but I always just set the box of 5/16" tubing on the ground and roll it out from the center of the box first. I never switch or reverse or whatever yall :lol: are talking about. I never have a problem with anything, but I have taught myself most of the things I have learned because there is no one down here to show you anything. I am probably doing it wrong, but it has worked great for me and I have a lot of 5/16" tubing.

I know Jim has Lamb tubing, so maybe it would work as good. It uncoils out of the box so easy, but probably 'cause I don't know any better! :D :D None of my tubing is rigid or semi-rigid, so maybe it's different.

It sure would be nice to be closer up that way so I could go to seminars and learn things. I have always made excellent syrup, but have learned some things the hard way because I have to figure out things on my own! :oops: :oops: :oops:

jmattice
02-09-2004, 07:33 PM
I've unrolled a fair amount of 5/16 tubing by hang, but thats all in the past now. This year we fabricated one of the unrolling spools. It works so nice. Just hook it on the mainline and go!!
John

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
02-10-2004, 07:08 AM
I made one of those unrolling tools in the metal shop class at my school. It works excellent and is very simple to build. If you have all the materials it probably would only take 1.5 hrs to build.