PDA

View Full Version : Memtech RO

Quabbin Hill Farms
01-02-2014, 03:50 PM
I purchased an older Memtech RO last year it has three 4"x19" membranes in it. It did not work well and I suspect the memebranes need to be be cleaned or replaced. Has anyone had the opportunity to take one of the units apart and remove the membrane. There is a brass ring in the end I have a manual and it talks about a special tool (that I don't have) to remove the membrane. Let me know if anyone has had one of these apart and how to go about it.

Thanks

Greg

madmapler
01-02-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm no expert but that size membrane seems to be an oddball. Maybe look into changing to a 4"x40" membrane. Joe at Atlantic RO could fix you up reasonable. What size pumps do you have?

NH Maplemaker
01-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Here is Joe's info WWW.AtlanticRO.com 910-457-9336 Joe is the nicest guys on the face of the earth!

tuckermtn
01-02-2014, 09:55 PM
I have an older (1982) memtek that has both a 8" and a 4" membrane. If yours is like mine, the brass ring is a three piece brass retaining ring, easy to remove if you can push the end caps in toward the middle of the membrane they should be easy to move with a small pick. What size pump do you have on it? is it a magnikst m-38 (red piston pump) if it is an m-38 you could easily run a single 8" rather than the three 4" membranes. post a picture if you can...

Quabbin Hill Farms
01-03-2014, 09:21 AM
My pump is Y81N 1.5 hp motor it is a Magnikst pump.

madmapler
01-03-2014, 02:55 PM
FYI, I was just checking Joes website and he does'nt list that size. He sells a 4"x21" but its about the same price as the 4"x40". A 40" vessel is around that price as well.

wiam
01-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Are they fiberglass? Mine are. Only problem I had with mine is aluminum caps got pitted where the o-rings sit and I had them machined and a fatter o-ring. Is each membrane in a separate housing?

BreezyHill
01-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Our unit is a '84 memteck and originally had three 4X20s they were changed out for 2 4x40s, now aI am looking to go to 3 or to an 8"x40.

Quabbin Hill Farms
01-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Yes each membrane sits in its own fiberglass housing. How do you get the housing apart to get to remove the menbrane?

wiam
01-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Mine has a 3 piece brass retaining ring that holds the aluminum end cap. On the top end there is a bolt that keeps the cap from falling in when pressure is off. Remove this bolt and push aluminum cap in. The the smaller of the 3 brass pieces should come out followed by the other 2. A pick sometimes helps here. Them you can remove end cap. This can pull very hard past the groove in the fiberglass. Then go to the bottom and push cap in far enough to remove retainers. Do not try to push membrane out the top as seal on top of membrane will not go past groove in fiberglass in that direction. The membrane should then come out the bottom. I push from top to get it out.

When putting membrane back in push it in from top so that it sticks out bottom and put bottom cap and adapter on. V gasket goes at top with open side up. Push cap in far enough to get retainer back in. Do not pull cap back into place as you can pull cap away from membrane. Push the membrane into place from top. Put top cap in far enough to replace retainer, pull out and replace bolt.

Quabbin Hill Farms
01-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Thanks for your help. I try this and see how it goes.I may get back to you if I have problems.

wiam
01-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Hope it helps. I hope Breezy or Tucker correct anything I missed. That was from memory. :rolleyes:

maple2
01-08-2014, 07:16 AM
it also helps to lube the inside ends of the vessel. Pull the bottom cap off straight so you will not break the cuppler

Quabbin Hill Farms
01-08-2014, 03:01 PM
William I was able to remove the top and bottom set of brass retaining rings, and I was able to get the top cap out although it took alot of force to get those caps to move inward to free the brass retainers. I cannot though get the bottom cap to come out. You mentioned that you pushed on the membrane to push the caps out how much force can you put on the membrane, is striking it with a wooden block to much?

Thanks

Greg

wiam
01-08-2014, 05:31 PM
I have a shelf that I can put the housing against the wall and push. Usually works.

maple2
01-08-2014, 06:31 PM
turn the vessel upside down, butter up the inside of the vessel, take 2 small prybars and pry against the brass nut,pulling it up

tuckermtn
01-08-2014, 08:26 PM
especially if the vessel has sat for a while, it will take some significant persuasion...hitting with a block of wood and a heavy hammer are not out of the question IMHO. I have a short piece of copper pipe sweated to a female side of a Nibco union so I can put that on to the piece of pipe sticking out of the end cap so I can protect the threads on the end cap stubby pipe and give some more area to pry on with the pry bar when trying to pull it back out. this is on my 8" vessel. for the 4" we can usually work it back and forth and get it out.

Quabbin Hill Farms
01-21-2014, 02:17 PM
William I wasl finally get it apart thanks for the help. i was able to pull the membranes through the top so I could then push the bottom caps out the bottom with a wooden block and hammer