PDA

View Full Version : cutting down a Leader King flue pan with a TIG

Worcester
01-02-2014, 10:56 AM
I have a segment of a leader king flue pan that is a little over 3 x4 part of the pan was scorched, so the owner cut off the melted part. I am thinking of TIG welding a side to it, the pan is soldiered, most of the work could be done without touching any solder.
Has anyone on here done anything like this? Any input on the subject is appreciated. Thanks

Sugarmaker
01-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Worcester,
This seams to be very feasible. I am not a Tig welder but i would think this is very good option to make a new pan. I have done some MIG welding. The areas that you cant Tig could be re-soldered with lead free to seal those joints. Some pictures might help. Which end is being saved the float/ drain end?
Regards,
Chris

Thad Blaisdell
01-02-2014, 01:13 PM
I believe the older pans are thinner stainless and they either cant be welded or its hard to.... then again I don't know for sure

farmall h
01-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Thad I think your right. Also, the older pans maybe "English Tin" rather than SS. Try putting a magnet on to see if it sticks.

morning mist
01-09-2014, 08:28 AM
I have tried this. mixing tig and sodier don't mix.

Worcester
02-07-2014, 07:28 PM
the flue pan is 430 stainless.
we are planning to TIG to the solder and then flow solder for the parts that we can't avoid.

what was the problem when you tried? is there something we are missing?

nymapleguy607
02-09-2014, 06:30 AM
Try to water test the flues first. 400 series staimless will rust and create pin holes all through the pan. No sense wasting your time if it has gotten that bad.

Worcester
03-17-2014, 10:54 AM
so after many evenings in the metal shop it seems to work out
sweetened up the pans yesterday with about 270 gallons collected over the few runs we have had here.

my blacksmith friend TIG welded a side of salvage 304 to the 430 leader flue pan we used 308 rod
we welded as close as possible to the solder and then I flowed silver bearing solder for the remainder.
Also sweat in a fitting to go to front pan into the 430. used Oatey no 11 flux

back gassed where we could and religiously used copper chill bars.

I will post pictures when I get some more down time.