PDA

View Full Version : Raised flue brush handle

Paul VT
01-01-2014, 05:01 PM
What are people using for raised flue brush handles? I bought a brush. When I asked what to use for a handle they said just get a long piece of pipe and use a couple hose clamps to hold it on. Seems a little hack. With all the fancy sugaring equipment there is I can't believe there isn't something made for the job. I will probably make something but I would like to see what others are using.
Thanks.

Bucket Head
01-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Does the brush have threads on it? I thought brushes had the threaded ends on them for screwing handles into them- handles like the ones that come with chimney brushes.

Steve

johnallin
01-01-2014, 07:37 PM
I boil on a Leader Patriot raised flue pan. The brush I got with it is on about a 9' steel handle, and as mentioned by Steve - it has threads on the business end.

Paul VT
01-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Nope. No threads. It is just a twisted pair of round stock.

Bucket Head
01-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Well, maybe a pipe and clamps would do it. However, I would try and find an actual flue brush with the threaded fitting for the flexible handles. Can you return the "handleless" brush?

Steve

Paul VT
01-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Yeah I think that's probably what I will have to do. I bought it last year. I removed the flue pan and stood it on one end and cleaned it. But now with a hood and preheater not as easy to do.

maple flats
01-02-2014, 05:39 AM
I clean mine using a 2 pc. 1/2" pipe handle. Both my old and new brushes have pipe fittings on them but they are 1/4" pipe. I use a 1/4 x 1/2 coupling and then use the stronger pipe. You could not use a chimney brush handle, it would flex too much to clean into the upper far end on the pan. I use 2 1/2" pipes 4' long and couple them in the middle to clean my 5' raised flue pan and it works well. If your has no threaded fitting I suggest it fell off, they are crimped on, but you should be able to weld a nipple on, use black iron pipe to weld, galvanized makes for nasty fumes when welding.

Paul VT
01-02-2014, 07:54 PM
I clean mine using a 2 pc. 1/2" pipe handle. Both my old and new brushes have pipe fittings on them but they are 1/4" pipe. I use a 1/4 x 1/2 coupling and then use the stronger pipe. You could not use a chimney brush handle, it would flex too much to clean into the upper far end on the pan. I use 2 1/2" pipes 4' long and couple them in the middle to clean my 5' raised flue pan and it works well. If your has no threaded fitting I suggest it fell off, they are crimped on, but you should be able to weld a nipple on, use black iron pipe to weld, galvanized makes for nasty fumes when welding.
It never had a threaded end on it. The supplier I bought it from had at least a dozen of them this way. They told me that is how they come. I may have to weld it but with plastic bristles I have to be careful.
Thanks for the help.

CharlieVT
01-03-2014, 05:31 AM
I have a raised flue 4x7 flue pan. Because of the length, I found using a section of chimney sweep brush handle (which screwed on to my flue brush nicely) to be too flexible.
I located a long wood handle from a push broom and fastened the flue brush to the handle with pipe clamps. I oriented the clamps so they wouldn't rub or scratch the pan. It took several clamps to get the needed stability so the brush wouldn't slip with respect to the handle. I think I flattened the handle where it mates to the brush for increased stability.

The setup does look like a cob job, but it was the only way I could come up with a long, non flexing handle. It works fine.