PDA

View Full Version : New shack ?

325abn
11-03-2006, 06:55 AM
I bought a 10 X 12 Arrow metal shed from sears to use as my shack for my 2X4 rig. My plan is to build this shed onto a 12 X 16 skid made with 4X4 PT post and 6 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood. I plan on putting a feed take outside on the "spare" space on the skid. I have a SS hood and I am not sure how its sopsed to be used. The guy I got the rig from had the hood suspended about 2 feet above the flue pan is this correct or should the hood be sitting on the pan or suspended over it?

What are some of your thoughts on using this type of shed for a shack?

mapleguy
11-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Wood fired on a plywood floor, you will need to be very careful of sparks and live coals to prevent a fire hazard. Positioning of the hood is a personal choice, I would start with it above the flue pan a foot or so and if you get too much steam coming out around the hood , than drop it lower or right down on the pan.

325abn
11-04-2006, 07:46 AM
My rig is oil fired. Still the concerns with fire?

So I understand, the purpose of the hood is solely the evacuation of steam from the shack? Or does it serve to increase the efficiency of the flue section of the pan? :D

HanginAround
11-04-2006, 09:26 AM
If you have a preheater in your hood then it's for efficiency, otherwise, just to funnel steam. Does your hood have a preheater?

Mike
11-04-2006, 10:59 AM
I know a guy who uses a sears metal shed for his sugar house....works great....

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Would be no fire concerns as long as you have a 2 or 3 layers of insulating blanket against the floor.

HanginAround
11-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Not sure how well the blanket will stand up over time, would get pretty ratty I think. Maybe concrete board or fire protection board that you put under/around wood stoves would be better.

325abn
11-05-2006, 06:18 AM
I dont have apre heater on my hood now. I am think that I may build a one into it by running my feed line though some 1/2 copper wound on the inside of the hood.

The arch has fire brick but I am going to be either adding ceramic blanket or removing the brick and going with just the blamket. If I do this I wound't need to insulate on the outside of the arch.

HanginAround
11-05-2006, 10:56 AM
That makes sense. I don't know what I was thinking.... I guess I was back on the wood fired thing for a minute. He threw me when he said against the floor, but I guess he meant in the firebox on the bottom. Of course, put 2 or 3 layers on the bottom.

lmathews
11-09-2006, 05:38 AM
Hi,
You could also put a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 in. plate steal under the arch.

BlueberryHill
02-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Hey 325, I am reviving this old thread to see how that Arrow metal shed is working out for you. I was thinking about getting one myself. Either 10x12 or 10x14. Wondering what you think of it after a few years of use.

I really wanted to build out of wood and make something that looks like a more traditional sugar shack but in my town they tax on any size shed but they tell me that they have an exemption for all store bought metal sheds. So I'm thinking of pouring a slab and setting a metal shed on there tax-free. I can't get them to show me any kind of written rules regarding shed permitting and taxation so I guess it's just how much they like you. They also claim that there is no exemption for agri buildings of any kind.

325abn
02-26-2014, 10:22 AM
The Arrow shed worked ok for what it was, although it was far from ideal. I have since built a 12 X 16 wood frame shack.

BlueberryHill
02-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Maybe I'll just suck it up and pay the tax man then. I can build a 8x10 shed out of wood and I will get taxed on it but they said I can put in a 14 x 20 metal shed and it will be tax free. As long as it is a metal shed kit purchased at a store. They could not provide any written rules on any of it though. They get all annoyed when I call to ask too. Not very friendly is a nice way of saying it. I just started thinking about building a nice big wood one a huge trailer just to tick them off.