PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Air Dryer

Amber Gold
12-30-2013, 03:44 PM
I use an air operated diaphragm pump to run my filter press. The air compressor is your standard, 30 gal oil-less craftsmen air compressor. A problem I've noticed, particularly in the winter, is water or ice in the air line slowing the pump down. The other week when swapping tires on my car, the ice in the line plugged my impact gun, and I had to do it by hand. Last winter, I bought a small air filter from Lowe's, but it hasn't done anything.

Has anyone had this problem before? What can I do to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
12-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Is this your compressor?

I have used these types many times. You may have already tried this, but there should be a drain located at the bottom of the tank. After each use, and while the tank is still at full pressure, open valve and drain liquid/air. Shut it off and let all air/liquid drain out. It can make a mess, so put cardboard or a tray under it. This should solve the problem. If you drain it after each use, moisture shouldn't build up. If it persists even after doing this, drain it every time you use it when filtering.

Ben

Amber Gold
12-31-2013, 06:38 AM
Hi Ben,

I should've mentioned this in the original post. I've always drained the compressor after each use, and fill it every time I use it. Even doing this, I'm still having an issue with moisture in the air. Yes that is my compressor.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
12-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Amber,

I wasn't sure how long you had the compressor so I figured I'd mention it.

One factor is humidity in the region you live. If it is a humid day, or you are in a generally humid region, you may need to drain the tank more frequently.

There are a couple other things you could try.

Do you use regular Air hose, or is it hard lined to sugarhouse? If yes, could install water separator at end of hard line.

Also what do you have the regulator set at? 100 psi, 130?
If your compressor is set much above 100 psi, try to reduce the pressure to around 100.
The higher your pressure is set, the hotter the discharge line and air entering the receiver tank becomes.
The higher the air temperature traveling through the tank and air lines, the more the moisture will condense.

You could also try adding a automatic compressor drain. Every time the compressor unloads, it spits a little air out the drain value along with the water.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Amber Gold
12-31-2013, 07:26 AM
It's set to WOT. I'll dial it back...always figured more was better. I've had the compressor for year's, but like I said, it's always drained.

Not much humidity this time of year.

The compressor's in my shed (it's rather loud) and I run a 50' flexible rubber hose to the sugarhouse. From there, I ran a 40' PVC flexible air hose up the wall, across the collar ties, then back down to the diaphragm pump. I could hard pipe it if it'd help. I should take the rubber hose off the compressor, remove the fittings, and bring it in the house to drain the water out...wonder how much is in there.

Thanks Ben

Amber Gold
01-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Would I be better off not draining and re-filling the tank every time I want to use it? I'm thinking that because I fill it every time, I'm generating a lot of moisture filling the entire tank, and not just a little bit at a time as I'm using it.

maple flats
01-06-2014, 04:35 PM
For those spraying paint (such as painting cars), there is a water separator, It might require a heated environment to function.

moeh1
01-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Harbor Freight has a little in-line dessicant filter that might help.