PDA

View Full Version : 65 gal. tank

tbear
12-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Hi everyone; I got a horizontal 65 gallon tank from Tractor Supply I'm going to use for sap collection. I intend to haul it in the bed of my Ford Ranger. The tank does have "feet" on it but I'm concerned that it may roll over while I'm driving around in the timber. The bed of the truck does have tie downs however they are located high up on the sides and I feel they won't help much as far as tying the tank down to avoid rolling. I wonder if I should find or build a small pallet to tie the tank down to. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks, Ted

Tweegs
12-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Have the same tank.
I just use a tie down strap to keep the tank pinned against the front of the box on my gator.
Had no trouble with it wanting to roll about.
For me, the bigger issue was having it slide to and fro when about half full.
The tank seems pretty stable on its feet.

tbear
12-31-2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks Tweegs, I didn't even consider the sliding around issue! I have a valve on the front of the tank (obviously) and would hate to have that slide into the gate of the truck and snap off. That would be, if not catastrophic, at least bad. I think the tie downs I have will work to keep the tank from sliding. Good info, thanks again, Ted

markct
12-31-2013, 10:36 AM
When i had a plastic tank for the bed of my truck it always wanted to slide no mater how tight it was tied until i put a rubber piece of conveyor belt under it. You could also use a rubber stall mat from tractor supply the same way. I have since went to a 400 gal stainless tank with skids under it that i bolt down thru the floor of the bed

Sugarmaker
12-31-2013, 10:51 AM
I agree that you do not want this tank to move especially in a truck going down the road. I have a bigger tank but same problem.
325 gallon TSC leg tank in a F-250. So I took the time and money to fabricate a angle iron frame to set the tank in and made the frame fit the length of the truck bed with the tailgate up. I then built steel straps over the top of the tank two places and bolted these to the frame. I use ratchet straps, one on each side to attach the bands to the hooks in the truck bed. I have never had it move yet. Probably some pictures on here some where:) May sound like over kill but you have 500 lbs in that tank when full.
Regards,
Chris

tbear
01-13-2014, 04:36 PM
I just finished my "tank trap". I built a wooden pallet type frame that fits the bed of my truck from front to tailgate and from side to side. I put four I bolts, one on each side of the tank legs, in line with the tie down grooves. I used two ratchet straps to secure the tank to the pallet/trap. I'll fill the tank half full and take her for a drive tomorrow. If that goes well I'll fill it the rest of the way and see how it handles full. Thanks for all the input! Ted

tbear
03-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Hi Everyone,
I've been using the tank on my "tank trap" in the bed of my truck, it works very well, so far. I have a question about the tank itself. On the front it is marked off in increments of (starting at the bottom) S/N, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, and 65. The numbers obviously refer to gallons. Any ideas what the S/N stands for? Thanks, Ted

eustis22
03-21-2014, 08:37 AM
I'm sure S/N means "Sap/NOW!"

Big_Eddy
03-24-2014, 01:17 PM
If you're feeding your evaporator directly from it, it means STOP NOW! :)

tbear
03-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Yah yah yah, lol, so I looked a little closer, and there is a stamped serial number. Darn bifocals. Ted