PDA

View Full Version : Gasket for in between flue pan and steam hood?

WoodButcher
12-30-2013, 06:24 AM
hey guys , just touching a few things up before the season.

last season i noticed that some dribbles would get out of the flue pan and onto the side of it, making a cleaning mess.
it seems there is a small 1/4 gap where the steam hood rests on the top of the raised flue pan.

anyone have any ideas on how to seal this up? i was thinking of using silicone caulk and just running a huge bead on my steam hood and let it dry... but thats not very clean and the food grade stuff is pricey.

i was hoping for a gasket tape or those gaskets below doors in the shape of a mound.. but we all know it needs to withstand 212deg temps and be food grade.

any help would be great. its not a huge problem, just trying to keep my back pan shiny.

Shawn
12-30-2013, 07:01 AM
Try the pan rail gasket?:cool:

rayi
12-30-2013, 07:02 AM
What about rail insulation. The stuff you put on the arch before you put on the pans

WoodButcher
12-30-2013, 08:51 AM
if you are talking about the fiberglass rope or the white insulation material , that would not work very well seeing how it would be in contact with sap and become saturated and drip back into the flu pan. Not food grade either . Essentially whatever I put there will be in contact with sap steam and drip back into the pan.

The material would be applied to either the flat lip of the steam hood facing down or the flat lip of the flue pan facing up...resting on each other

wiam
12-30-2013, 09:55 AM
I have seen people split "milk" hose lengthwise and put that over edge of pan for a gasket

maple flats
12-30-2013, 10:44 AM
I just keep a clean towel ready and wipe dry as needed, this helps keep the pan clean and shinny.

jmayerl
12-30-2013, 11:01 AM
I second the split hose.

WoodButcher
12-30-2013, 11:14 AM
that hose idea is good thinking.
Maybe i have some leftover sap pump transfer hose that I can split... its rated at 180 degrees.... on second thought I will just buy some silicone Dairy line and be done with it.

WoodButcher
12-30-2013, 07:12 PM
well i called around me . no one locally sells 3/4" OD or 1" OD silicone tubing. i found out a lot of dairy hose is just food grade vinyl or plastic, not silicone as they dont need to resist a lot of heat. . .

most cattle farms around me are beef. there is one dairy farm 20 minutes away, im going to call them before going online for silicone (i need 12', but the big supplier online requires 20' minimum at $70 . HERES THE SUPPLIER (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=36294&catid=799) . .

do you think i would be ok with just food grade pvc hose? its what the amish use around me. its good to about 180 degrees, and its not like its submersing in boiling sap. . . ill keep a look out for the silicone first .