PDA

View Full Version : Beginner tubing questions...

Too Tall
12-29-2013, 05:24 PM
I've spent the last hour searching for the answers to a couple questions:

I'm running (2) 5/16th lines with 12 taps per line into my collection barrels. I was out in the woods today and strung the line up and pulled it tight on both ends. I have good slope and everything looks good so far.

My questions are:

Do I wait until right before the season to use my homemade two handed tool to insert the drop lines into my 5/16th mainlines?

Can I install them now and use the "plug" part of the Tee fitting to plug up my spile until it's time to tap?

Also, just thinking ahead...

If I plan on running these two lines around the same trees next year, how do you go about marking the lines/trees in order to know which line goes where? Right now, all my trees are marked with trail marking tape (So I can tell which ones are maples in the winter). I would prefer not to leave that up all year.

Thanks for any advice.

unc23win
12-29-2013, 05:28 PM
You can put the drops in anytime you want and just use the plug.

Most people leave the line up all year round. If you label the line you will just need to label the trees.

Thad Blaisdell
12-29-2013, 05:56 PM
I have roughly 15 lines that have to come down at the end of the season as well.... With just two lines label them 1 and 2 left to right. You will figure it out when you put them back up. You could always use a dark paint that really doesn't show up well until you are right on it. Spray right on the spot the line touches the tree.

Too Tall
12-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Sugarmaker
12-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Too Tall,
The advice above is good. You can add the drops now and be ready to tap when the weather is right. Just plug the spout into the cup on the tee. I also mark the elevation, above and below the lines with a spot of black spray paint. Helps string the lines much quicker next season. We have 30 of these short run tubing systems with about 20 taps each, all of them come down every year, cleaned and stored, for the next season.
Regards,
Chris