PDA

View Full Version : SS tubing added to Flat pan

Woody_Woodruff
12-28-2013, 10:42 AM
hope someone might a light a match to this pipe dream ;-}

I have an idea to add piping to my flat pan to simulate a drop flue pan. Looked at specs for Stainless piping in boiler applications:

ASTM A 213 (ASME SA-213 is
identical)
This specification includes minimum wall
thickness seamless austenitic stainless
steel tubing intended for high temperature
usage such as boiler, superheater and heat
exchanger tubes, Production is generally
limited to tubing ‘A” inside diameter to 5”
outside diameter and .015” to ,500”
inclusive in wail thickness. All material is to
be furnished in the heat treated condition.
Alaskan stocks “average wall” austenitic A
213 tubing.

punch 2) 2" holes ,in and out, to feed a "ladder" branch . Thinking it would sit behind the fire wall to protect it from fire box wood handling. I have a half pint, so in and out would be from the inflow channel, and would limit the reverse draw feature, (the ladder would be in front).

crude sketch

Any thoughts?

Woody Woodruff, Vestaburg MI

Spanielslovesappin
12-28-2013, 04:18 PM
i dont love it, leave your pan alone!

That said I like the 2" pipe, smaller would be a mistake but leave it as a single pipe, you wont be able to clean the rungs of your ladder; you need to be able to clean the niter and crud that will build up out of the pipe.

just weld a row SS 180 degree U bends on the bottom of of the pan using thin wall ss pipe fittings

Of course by the time you buy the fittings and do the mods buying a souped up 1/2 pint pan with flues may be cheaper as you can sell the original pan.

the smokey lane full pint or hybrid pan i think its called...

Kacey small scale maple
12-28-2013, 10:33 PM
I have a 2x6 pan and my front pan is a three section finish and the back was flat but the guy I bought it from added 8 stainless tubes going into the pan on one side and up out the other horizontally across the length of the flue pan making the boil rate close to 9-10 gal per hour more, making my rig get a min. Of 20 I'm hoping 25 gal out of it. I dont quite understand where your idea is going to be placed in the evaporator arch but it sounds interesting, don't give up! I love building my own additions some are good some aren't. So, all that said the pipes are not as efficient as the flues but certainly are better than a flat flue pan.

- Kacey -

Kacey small scale maple
12-28-2013, 10:37 PM
8278 Here is a pick of my flue pipes coming up out of one side.

Sugarmaker
12-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Woody,
Yes, increasing surface area to boil faster. A very common problem for a lot of us. I cant say that this stainless ladder system under the pan wont work. I have never seen the tube ladder under the pan concept before but there are many variations of adding features to flat pans to get more area, therefor boiling faster. My guess you would have a lot of work into the system and not see much gain. If you are a good Tig welder and have the tools I would say go for it. If you have to pay for the labor it may not be worth it. If the grandkids are old enough have them do some of the boiling while you set back and watch.
Regards,
Chris

Spanielslovesappin
12-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Back in the olden days when my grandma was girl they had pans with cups on the bottom of them. think a muffin pan... Any bump to surface area yield more GPH!

Woody is spot on i think... if you have the skills and tools or a buddy who wont rape you then do it.

Kacey, I would love to see the underside of the pan.

Sugarmaker
12-29-2013, 08:13 AM
If your grandma boiled on a rig with cups, it probably was a Warren brand. I boiled a lot on one of those in my early syrup making career.
Regards,
Chris

Back in the olden days when my grandma was girl they had pans with cups on the bottom of them. think a muffin pan... Any bump to surface area yield more GPH!

Woody is spot on i think... if you have the skills and tools or a buddy who wont rape you then do it.

Kacey, I would love to see the underside of the pan.