PDA

View Full Version : OMEGA thermometer??

PARKER MAPLE
12-25-2013, 06:08 AM
I'm looking to get a new thermometer this year, was looking for your input on these units. I'm thinking about the HH502mdl. I believe it comes with dual thermocouplers so you can monitor two different areas.. Anyone using this and have feed back??
Thanks MR

Flat Lander Sugaring
12-25-2013, 07:17 AM
I have been looking at Omega therms also
I want to monitor firebox temp front and rear, stack and hot air transfer box. I found one that came with a window based program you could hook up through USB and have 4 inputs. But the wife took her computer where I saved the link. I want to say the USB block and program was around 550.00
If I find it I will post link, almost positive I found it in Omega site.

Found it
http://www.omega.com/pptst/OM-DAQ-USB-2400.html

lpakiz
12-25-2013, 08:06 AM
I was thinking of a system along these lines. It would consist of a readout or PID processor fed by the "common" output terminal from a rotary switch. I think I saw some of these switches with as many as a dozen connections. You could have thermocouples in as many locations as you wanted, even outside air temp. PID controllers are not a lot of $, and you would only need the readout function. Twist the dial to select any of your locations...

Flat Lander Sugaring
12-25-2013, 08:54 AM
I was thinking of a system along these lines. It would consist of a readout or PID processor fed by the "common" output terminal from a rotary switch. I think I saw some of these switches with as many as a dozen connections. You could have thermocouples in as many locations as you wanted, even outside air temp. PID controllers are not a lot of $, and you would only need the readout function. Twist the dial to select any of your locations...
Im not sure yet haven't called but I am thinking the window program would divide the monitor up into 8 quadrants like a security system does so you could see all 8 or have it cycle through. At the boil off lapirriere had there large flat screen broke into 3 sections if I remember correctly.
PID control are around 300.00 at least the ones I was looking at.

PARKER MAPLE
12-25-2013, 09:02 AM
I was wondering about monitoring the draw off temp, and also the float box feed side temp.. I think this one will work for this agreed??

lpakiz
12-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Flat lander,
NO! Search PID Controller in EBay. You will find most are under $50. Many at $25-30. Probes are $2-5. These PIDs are full featured controllers, although you would only use the read-out part.

PARKER MAPLE
12-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Ok so I'm confused, leader is selling this omega rig in the book for 260$. If it dosnt work for draw off temp monitoring then what is it for????

wiam
12-25-2013, 07:47 PM
I got this pid for temp control in my chicken scalder. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1 with auberins pt100 probe it measures to tenths of a degree. I use mine with a relay as I have heaters that draw 30 amps. Could be used as a thermometer. I would not get the dual display for that though

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-29-2015, 05:44 AM
I got this pid for temp control in my chicken scalder. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1 with auberins pt100 probe it measures to tenths of a degree. I use mine with a relay as I have heaters that draw 30 amps. Could be used as a thermometer. I would not get the dual display for that though
ok wiam just making sure im not being stupid this controller will read to thousands in temperature? not just hundreds, it looks like it does because will take K type thermo that reads to 1800F