PDA

View Full Version : A new season coming

bluefinn
12-23-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm just a small scale backyard guy. First year did propane & last year got 10 cinder blocks stacked 2 high & built a red brick stack in the back to boil over wood. It worked good & made good syrup. This year I'm planning on getting more blocks to go 3 high to raise the fire grate & add a steel pipe stack. What kind of pipe material should I need. All the pics I see on here show the front of the arch & I'm not sure how to work in the pipe? Trying to get more efficient on a low budget. I only have a few trees & did about 70 gallons of sap & got about a gallon & half of nectar. I just recieved my hydrometer & cup from Andersons . I still have a lot to learn & I love this site. I cut a lot of wood to get me through & my wife says I,m crazy. My neighbor says I can tap his couple of maples. Thanks for any replies & Merry Christmas!

morningstarfarm
12-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Uh oh...and so it begins...first it's a couple neighbor trees...next it's a bigger arch...then more trees for the bigger arch....then a sugar house...welcome to the insanity

morningstarfarm
12-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Just use 6" smoke sack from home depot to get started...

jmayerl
12-23-2013, 06:43 PM
What I would do is get a 3-4' section of thicker galvanized pipe and a takeoff section. Built the bricks into a transition like base and then the transition should fill in most of the gap. A few pieces of ripped up ceramic insulation to fill in the holes and your good to go. 6" pipe will work fine. All that should be 15-20 at menards

psparr
12-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Use h vac duct from home depot, only $5 and it will last a few seasons.