PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator info

Tapping Wolf
12-19-2013, 05:14 PM
What should the GPH be on the GBM outdoorsman 24x48 inch evap. with cross flow pans? Will fire brick be enough to insulate or should I also use arch board and/or fire blanket?

maple flats
12-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Are they flat pans, or is one a flue pan?

Tapping Wolf
12-21-2013, 09:21 AM
It's a divided flat pan. I have been getting 5-7 gph on my home made rig...I just bought a GBM 2x4 evaporator and am wondering what kind if gph I might get on my same pans (2x4divided flat pan with a ore warmer pan on top) with this evaporator

kiteflyingeek
12-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Tapping Wolf,

I'll let someone else talk about your GPH question -- I'll address the brick / insulation question. Yes! You will want to use both fire brick and insulation. The fire brick will keep the fire from burning through the metal of the arch but it is the insulation that will keep the outside of the arch cool enough to stand next to. Als, more of your wood heat will go into the sap/syrup instead of the atmosphere.

I would recommend the folks at Sugar Bush Supplies (http://www.sugarbushsupplies.com) in Mason, MI (just south of Lansing) for the supplies. They make syrup too so they know what they are recommending. As far as they arch board vs fire blanket question, both have been used -- the blanket will be a little harder to keep clean in a wood burner and will compress a little under the bricks.

Hope that helps. Good to 'talk' with a fellow Hoosier.

--andrew

maple flats
12-22-2013, 04:20 PM
With a flat pan you are doing good to get better than 1 GPH/SF, thus 8 SF=8GPH. Good insulation, dry wood, and split fine might help gain a little. As the evaporator gets bigger you can ultimately get a little better if done right, even with a flat pan.