PDA

View Full Version : mainline slope to releaser

tcross
12-18-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm going to be putting my pump and releaser in my shack this weekend or the next. I do not have a lot of slope from on the last 55-60 feet of my mainline. I'd say 2%. it's a 1" mainline with 160 taps on it right now. I have a 1 1/2 h.p pump that sucks up 12cfm. the 1" main will be reduced to 3/4 right at the pump due to the size of the releaser inlet! I guess my questions is, does this sound like it would work or do I need to get more pitch on the main line? the only way I can do that is taking up my pavers and digging down so the tanks are lower. a PITA! but do-able! any thoughts?

Scribner's Mountain Maple
12-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Work with what you got for slope. If you think you can make it steeper with the PITA work, do it next year maybe. 2% will work fine with the pump and number of taps you are talking.

The one thing I would consider addressing is the inlet in the releaser. If there are two 3/4 ports, I would use them both, y them together and then into the 1" line. Or even better cut a 1" port into your releaser. If you don't have the tools, or don't dare make that hole, you can take it to a maple dealer, or machine shop and they can do it for you.

I am not 100% on this, but am pretty sure if you have your 1" pipe running into a 3/4 inlet on the releaser, then you are seriously reducing the ability for Vac transfer to tap holes.

Good luck,
Ben

tcross
12-18-2013, 03:05 PM
I'm guessing i'll loose a little vacuum with reducing my line form 1" to 3/4" but it's a glass releaser (large bender)... so I don't think there's a way to do that? I think the pump is plenty strong enough to over come that to an extent however. i'll find out soon enough !

farmall h
12-18-2013, 05:07 PM
TCROSS you will be fine as long as you don't have any sags for freezing. 1" mainline is kinda overkill for a160 taps...but hey..if you plan to expand to 500 taps you got a good start.

tcross
12-19-2013, 06:09 AM
thanks for the vow of confidence guys! I actually looked last night and the check valve is 3/4" but it is reduced from 1 1/4". so i'll be set there. I'm not sure why I thought it was a straight 3/4". I do eventually plan on putting another 300 or so taps on that line with a 3-4' sap ladder about mid way. I guess I wont' worry too much about the slope this year and next year i'll work on getting it a little more sloped! Thanks again guys... I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track! being a greenhorn at this and all!

Mark
12-19-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm going to be putting my pump and releaser in my shack this weekend or the next. I do not have a lot of slope from on the last 55-60 feet of my mainline. I'd say 2%. it's a 1" mainline with 160 taps on it right now. I have a 1 1/2 h.p pump that sucks up 12cfm. the 1" main will be reduced to 3/4 right at the pump due to the size of the releaser inlet! I guess my questions is, does this sound like it would work or do I need to get more pitch on the main line? the only way I can do that is taking up my pavers and digging down so the tanks are lower. a PITA! but do-able! any thoughts?

I would keep an eye on the fitting with the reduced size for freezing. I have a couple lines that are necked down to enter the extractor that like to freeze up under the right conditions. The reduced diameter acts like a venturi and the the temp drops in the area where the air velocity increases and pressure drops. I would not worry about it since it probably won't cause a problem but I mention it just in case it does happen.