PDA

View Full Version : Feed tank size for 1500 taps

madmapler
12-15-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm looking to get a tank to feed my 2.5x10 evaporator. I'll have between 1200 and 1500 taps this year and will be concentrating to 8% or better(maybe 12%). What can I get away with for a feed tank? Thanks.

maple flats
12-15-2013, 11:58 AM
A lot of that depends on how easily it can be refilled.
I have a 3x8 so we are essentially the same capacity. I used a 415 gal elevated tank until last season. Then I set that one on the ground to use as another sap tank. I now have a 200 gal head tank. I run 8% concentrate in it. Essentially, at 8% my RO matches the evaporator. I generally RO until I have about 30 gal in the head tank and then light the fire. As the boil gets up to full boil the head tank rises to 50-60 gal. I stay there until shutdown and then quit firing at 20 gal. The evaporator finishes at about 1/4" below normal level (1/2" flue pan, 3/4" syrup pan) as the coals burn out.
So in essence I could use a 100 gal head tank. However sometimes I let the RO run longer on start up, to full, then recirculate to get to 10-or 12 and sometimes even 15%, then I start the fire and run the RO at 10% concentrate until the level gets to 40-50 gal. At that time I drop the RO pressure to get 8% and again match the evaporator.
When you have an RO you will discover that you have lots of options on tank size and concentrate percentages.
Another thing I have done is run the RO at 4-5-6% to empty a ground tank quicker if a sap seller calls and says they are bringing a new load. (I also buy sap) I might run lower% to empty a tank and this raises the head tank level. Then when the sap tank is empty, I start recirculating and use the permeate thru a potable water rated hose, with spray nozzle to clean the tank and be ready for the new load. I now have the 415 gal tank, a 550 gal tank and if needed a 1000 gal tank to receive sap, but I like using the smallest one that will do the job.

madmapler
12-15-2013, 01:38 PM
This is my first year with an RO (and a lot of other things). Thanks for letting me know how you do it. I still have a lot of things to figure out.

Maplewalnut
12-15-2013, 03:19 PM
I have about the same number of taps and feed my 2x6 with a 35 gallon feed tank. Some say crazy but I can match my RO output almost perfectly with my evaporation rate. No need for a big tank

nymapleguy607
12-16-2013, 08:41 AM
I have a 400 gallon bulk tank outside of the sugar house that gravity feeds my feed tank. I use a 40 gallon feed tank and when the big tank empties it leaves an hours worth of boiling. I usually fire 2 more times then shut down. I would size the feed tank to the amount you can boil through in an hour, then you have plenty of time to shutdown.

Four D Acre Farms
12-17-2013, 05:50 AM
Good advice from everyone!! I started with an ro last year and found that our 2.5 x 8 evaporator was about one to one with the ro (ro was a touch faster) we had a 725 head tank and because of what we have already will be going to a 325 head tank and the 725 is going on a running ger for gathering. We have a new ro coming that is two to three times faster this year and hopefully new evaporator next year to get that ratio back closer to 1 to 1 ratio, I would recommend getting a head tank that gives you a little room, for just in case, things happen during the busiest times of the season and if you have an issue you may want (or need) a little extra room to put concentrate. Just my opionion hope that adds a little more in ideas. Good luck and may you have a great season

PerryFamily
12-17-2013, 04:58 PM
I had 1100 on gravity last yr with a 600 RO. I have a 300 gallon head tank. I believe on my biggest day @ 10 I maybe had 300 gallons in it.

Flat Lander Sugaring
12-17-2013, 05:57 PM
I size mine from gph of evap to beer. So if I can do 35 to 40 gph I make sure I have 3 cases on hand and a bottle of jack :-D.
No really I have a 100 gal head tank been ok but have to watch it my home built ro puts out more than my gph so I over filled it a couple times. Thought of putting in a little larger head tank maybe 225

adk1
12-17-2013, 07:12 PM
I have about the same number of taps and feed my 2x6 with a 35 gallon feed tank. Some say crazy but I can match my RO output almost perfectly with my evaporation rate. No need for a big tank**** man I have same size evap and 220 taps but no ro

ennismaple
12-18-2013, 03:34 PM
We have a 300 gallon feed tank for our 3.5x14. We wait until it's half full and fire up The Beast. By the time we're at full steam we've got an hour's concentrate in front of us. This allows for some time to do a short rinse on the membrane halfway through the day (if required) without worrying about running out of concentrate. While we boil we set the concentrate flow rate to basically match our evaporation rate so the feed tank level doesn't change much.

When (not if) we add another membrane tower everything will change and we'll need to re-learn our levels but for now this works for us.

madmapler
12-18-2013, 05:21 PM
I have a 275 gallon cage tote that I'll probably use this year. Next year I'll have to rethink it all over again as I'm looking at another 2500 taps. It seems crazy but if I dont tap em, somebody else will and they're pretty convenient for me to get to.

ennismaple
12-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Wow Sean - You're going from 94 taps to over 1200 this year! That's an impressive increase. The first few days will be very scary as you learn the RO, learn the evaporator and try to figure out when/if you will sleep before May!

With your setup a 275 gallon tote should work for you. They are a PITA to clean after every boil - and you do need to clean the feed tank well because concentrate can go funky on you quickly. We initially went with a 305 gallon vertical poly tank when we got our Force 5 and after 2 years of struggling to keep it clean we decided to pay the extra and get a SS open top tank.

Sunday Rock Maple
12-19-2013, 07:44 PM
One concept that I think helps for a consistent boil is to have the float control on the feed tank set to keep the feed tank level (and as a result the pressure on the evaporator float) within a small range. Ours is a 180 gallon tank set to keep the level within +/- 1" and my dad always called it the "regulator" tank as it's purpose was regulate the head pressure. The input is a 2,600 gallon tank that holds concentrate from the RO. Of course at the end of the boil the level drops as the 180 gallon tank empties out and we have to watch the level until we shut down. For us that means about 4" left in the tank when we shut the burners off (4' by 14' King) to keep the level in the pans right as the rig cools down.

madmapler
12-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Wow Sean - You're going from 94 taps to over 1200 this year! That's an impressive increase. The first few days will be very scary as you learn the RO, learn the evaporator and try to figure out when/if you will sleep before May!

I'm going to be a little stressed at first for sure. I've learned a great deal by asking questions and reading posts on the trader. I'm sure I'll be sitting at the keyboard quite a bit then too. The cage tote is just going to have to do for this year. I cant believe how much money I've spent in the past 8 months already!

morningstarfarm
12-19-2013, 10:11 PM
The tote tank will work fine...remember, with the cage there you can cut the whole top out to make cleaning a breeze...

madmapler
12-20-2013, 04:22 AM
The tote tank will work fine...remember, with the cage there you can cut the whole top out to make cleaning a breeze... Thats a thought.