PDA

View Full Version : Having Problems!

Jim Brown
10-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Is anyone else having problems with syrup not drying on walnuts.almonds or pecans?. We have made hunderds of pounds of the crazy things and the last week we are like we don't have a clue what we are doing. the cooked syrup(240' or 28' above the point water boils) will not set up . We have purchased new therm. changed syrup. still no luck. The only way we have found that works is to place in the oven after coating an stir till dry.TAKES FOREVER!
Thanks for all replies
Jim

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
10-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Personally I've never made any, and sounds like you've made lots. But there is a guy I know that makes them quite well and he boils the syrup to 250 deg. F. I don't know if this helps, but it's the only thing that I've heard.

Good Luck!

Jim Brown
10-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks Ryan we will try it we don't have anything to loose at this point except a couple of cups of syrup and 2# of walnuts
Thanks
Jim

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
10-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Let me know if it works, because my father likes walnuts and I'd like to try to make some for him someday.

brookledge
10-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Jim
I do mine at 245 and have never had a problem
Keith

Jim Brown
10-31-2006, 06:10 AM
Thanks all for the replies I will pass the information on to the better half and see if that works .It sure has been frustrating that last week.
Thanks all for the help!
Jim

Sugarmaker
10-31-2006, 05:59 PM
Jim,
Hope you got the coating problem solved. I would have looked at the syrup as a potential problem. Especially if you have used other syrup during the same weather conditions. I usually have not had a problem with the nuts drying. I go to 240. with dark syrup and if there is any doubt I try to go over 240 by several degrees, because it doesn't matter if it crystallizes quickly.
Pour it over the nuts and start to stir. within several minutes it has coated and lost its sheen. I then dump them out and flatten the lumps.
I have had some that didn't dry as well and had to put them in the oven to get additional dryness. I found this after the nuts had set around for a week or more they were not as fresh.
Could the nuts have additional moisture?

Does any one know how to make honey coated nuts??

Chris

Jim Brown
10-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Right on Chris It was THE SYRUP!!!. I changed to some med amber we had from this spring and 'bingo' no problems!. The "B' we were using we purchased and it was from '05 and was not processed properly but hey we figured no problem we are just going to make nuts and mustard right?Why not. Well we got educated. From now on only this years syrup no matter what.
I want to thank all the Trader who responded with help. It sure is great to know how much knowledge there is out there at the tip of ones fingers.
Thanks again!
Jim