PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/4 Main Line

220 maple
10-30-2006, 07:11 AM
I'm in the process of putting up 1100 feet of 1 1/4 main line. It's 100 psi black plastic that I purchased in 2002 when Central Tractor supply was going out of business. I going to put the line on posts and wire. It will run thru a pasture field with no trees to pull side anchors to. My questions are? Anyone out there using 1 1/4 main? How close are your posts together to prevent sag? Did you use High Tensile fence wire? I'm hoping one wire will be sufficient. My father suggested before he passed away that we would probably need to use two wires for more strenght. I'm hoping that won't be needed. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
mark 220 MAPLE

brookledge
10-30-2006, 04:03 PM
I use # 4ga. galv. wire and really pull it tight. It is about 1/4" in dia. No matter what ga. wire you use the distance between post will be determined by the slope of the land if you have a good slope you can go further between post because the sag won't matter.
If you are on a flat area it will be more critical to keep the slope so you don't have any sag. The best bet would be try about every 50' or so and take it from there.
Keith

maplehound
10-30-2006, 09:45 PM
WE run a 1" main line along a ditch between two open fields. We used wood fence post to tie to and then add in T post for extra lifting. ( this is a pump line that runs full) We find that even with post every 15 feet we get alot of sags when the line is full but then straigtens out some when it drains. Even so when it freezes nothing will flow through it. :(
I also think you should reconsider the black pipe. In the open feild it will conduct alot of heat. Your sap will come out 10 - 20 deg. hotter than when it goes in. I found this out the hard way. :? Also the bacteria builds up real fast. The black pipe might work better in the woods but not in the open! Although I have had some success with painting it.
Ron

mapleguy
10-31-2006, 01:37 PM
High tensile #9 wire will work fine, number of posts will be determined by slope of land and how tight you can get wire. The best time to tension wire is when the temp is about the same as it will be during sugaring as it will change with temp. If wire is tensioned when it is cold it will naturally sag some when the temp goes to 40 + degrees.
As previously stated if slope of land is low then sap will be quite warm when it reaches your sugar house with black pipe.

220 maple
11-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the Input.
The slope issue is big, I had a uncle use a transit to get extact drop. I'm only going to have a 3 foot drop on the hundred. I will be a must to paint the line white. I've done this in other places and I believe it helps some. The suggestion of side posts is excellent. I had not thought of that approach to solving sag issues. Luckily I have a spring at the head of the hollow I can hook in and test for sags. I usually use the spring water to flush my lines. Again Thanks, I try to keep the board updated on this project.
220 MAPLE

Mike
11-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Id use the black pipe......Buy some white paint and paint it.....Cheaper than buying the white stuff from a dealer.....If your worried about running thru a field, can you bury the line...I know a guy who did it and hasnt had any problems....