PDA

View Full Version : Drill bits

Birddog
12-06-2013, 08:09 PM
I've been looking at the different tapping bits that are available from various suppliers. If a person is only tapping 50-100 trees and not using a vacuum system do these specialized bits really make a difference for a small operation? I had a couple of taps that seeped last spring. Everything I have will either be Sap sacks or buckets with drop tubes. If they do make a significant difference, which bit do you recommend? I use a cordless electric drill.

Thanks,

jmayerl
12-06-2013, 08:27 PM
A tapping bit is one of the best cheap investments out there. Quick, clean holes. Many more holes per charge.

Birddog
12-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Is there a particular brand or type you would recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jmayerl
12-06-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure of the brand, I bought one from maple hollow and one from Sippls' and if memory serves me correct they look the same and were about $15

BreezyHill
12-07-2013, 08:52 AM
The best bit is sharp one and makes a large chip or spiral of wood that is removed from the hole on bit removal. A dull bit will make smaller chips that can stay in the hole and end up plugging the tap, tee, y, or saddle thru out the tubing system. A high quality bit is a good investment; as it will last longer and provide better sap flow in the tubing. Under vacuum, chips are less of an issue as they are often sucked to the collection tank; but they can be an issue in the releaser flapper valves. I had a chip in a saddle last season. The lat was slow to empty, popped a tap and poor vac. Popped the lat of and could see the chip. Pushed it in to the mains with a tap cleaner brush and all was good again.

Great Question!

Ben

maple flats
12-07-2013, 11:55 AM
I agree, I used normal non maple bits my first 2 seasons. Then my dealer talked me into the maple bit. I've never looked back. They cut faster, make cleaner holes and stay sharp longer. This creates a better seal for the spiles. Never let the drill rock as you drill, that makes a poor hole. Over the years since I've used bits from many dealers and all seem good as far as I can tell.

BreezyHill
12-08-2013, 08:38 AM
CDL has a new bit that is designed to clean the hole of saw dust better due to the flutes have a beveled outside edge to catch and remove debris. I have not used this bit as of yet so cant saw how it works. The theory looks good and it should make a better hole with the sap cooling the metal thru more contact area on the flutes. Rather pricey at $18.99; but I will try any thing once and the good things twice.

Ben

Birddog
12-10-2013, 02:19 PM
All - thanks for the info. I'm going to do a little more research and buy a good maple bit or two. Sounds like they are well worth getting.

lyford
12-10-2013, 06:18 PM
I've been using an auger style bit but after reading this thread I think I'll witch to one intended for sugaring. I noticed alot of the different maple sites have different drill bits, can anyone recommend one specifically or will any them do the trick. Thanks-justin

Greenwich Maple Man
12-10-2013, 06:41 PM
I have used the CDL bits for couple of years and like them a lot. Very fast and sharp ! Makes a great hole ! I do try and change mine about every 600 taps so as to always have a super sharp bit !

BreezyHill
12-10-2013, 07:39 PM
I use cdl bits also. Just seem to last longer. The old sharpener I had grew legs so I don't resharpen them any more. That made the investment last a lot longer.

A great bit does make the battery packs last longer. But the 12v chargers and the xrp battery on the 18 volt guns work well.

unc23win
12-11-2013, 05:46 AM
I think in the Tapping Seminar video for Lapierre (available online) with Glenn Goodrich he said they change bits every 4000 taps.

lyford
12-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Ok guys this may be a dumb question but is cdl a brand of drill bits or a style. I checked Bascom's, Anderson's, and Mapleguys' websites and I can't seem to find cdl drill bits. Any thoughts? Thanks, justin

unc23win
12-11-2013, 07:32 AM
I don't think they are CDL brand bits I think they are sold by CDL from what I have seen they are all pretty much the same although prices very. Bascoms calls them Canadian bits the major difference from the more conventional bits is the tip designed for frozen wood. I don't have mine with, but I don't recall brand name printed on it. I think I paid like $17.50 for mine.

nymapleguy607
12-11-2013, 08:33 AM
CDL is the manufacture that sells them. I bought one a couple of years ago, and I belive it was called a canadian style bit. I have tapped frozen wood and thawed wood and it works very well in both. Biggest thing when tapping is to get good and stable before you tap the tree and drill as straight as possible, and run the drill as fast as possible and dont let off on the trigger.

BreezyHill
12-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Jeff is correct the bits are not made but are sold by CDL. The new designed it retails for 18.99 and is available in 4 sizes and is for all weather.

I have seen some people hot glue two level bubble tubes to their screw gun for less trained helpers to get a hole perfectly angled. For high vacuum the hole is the most important part of the system. The slightest mistake here will have you hunting a leak that is nearly impossible to find. I have heard of people thinking the taps were leaking between each other; when it was a poorly tapped hole.
Sawdust and chip removal is also important as to not have any debris between the tap and the wood in the hole that can cause the slightest of gaps.

A good bit only needs a slight amount of pressure to cleanly cut the wood. If you have to push hard it is time to change the bit.

Please remember...There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. LOL

Ben

Birddog
12-11-2013, 10:10 AM
So this is what I have found - Bascom's has a bit they call "Canadian bit" and from what I'm reading here, this is the same as the CDL bit. Is it the new CDL bit?? Anderson's has multiple options, they have something called a "Power Bit Special", Power Bit I-100", "Best Bit", and a "Leader Bit". Anderson's also has a "Hand Brace Bit" which I can rule out. I've seen multiple referrences to the Canadian and the CDL bit which I can get a "Canadian bit" from Basom's. Does anyone know anything more about the other bits from Anderson's? I suppose one of those might be the Canadian bit too. I'm wondering if they are all about the same quality/function and price is what makes them different? Any other thoughts?

unc23win
12-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Pretty sure the Bascom one is a CDL one. I just saw on Maple Guys theirs are $12 but called high speed.

Birddog
12-11-2013, 10:32 AM
I looked there too. So do you think the one on Mapel Guys is the same as the Canadian, which is the same as the CDL (new bit)? If the photos mean anything they look different. The picture on the Maple Guys site has more twists like a regular drill bit. Sorry for so many questions, just trying to figure this one out. Such a simple thing as a drill bit....

Birddog
12-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Maybe this is the answer. I just discovered I can order direct from CDL online. Is that where you guys get your CDL bits? They have a "Short Tapping Bit" and a "Titanium Tapping Bit".

Also the photo for the short tapping bit on the CDL site looks similar to the photo on the Maple Guys site for their high speed tapping bit.

nymapleguy607
12-11-2013, 11:15 AM
I bought mine from the CDL dealer that was local. As far as high speed, I think that refers to the steel the bit is made of. High speed steel bit would be siler in color and a titanium coated bit would be gold. A high speed steel bit will last for a long time if its treated right. I keep my bit in the plastic case it came in when not in use. Its not something you want to leave laying in your tool box unprotected in the off season.

BreezyHill
12-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Bascoms is a CDL dealership also, The titanium is supposed to stay sharper longer, while the new design is not available in titanium dipped.

My experience with the titanium drills has not been worth a penny more. I got a 200 bit set for $250 several years back,and nearly everyone was replaced under warranty at least once. Now the case is nearly empty and I wont waste the $$$ on the shipping charges.

Hope this helps.

maple flats
12-11-2013, 04:40 PM
The metal under the titanium coating is just as or even more important. Many companies latch onto a product and exploit it's good features without meeting all of the requirements. Likely the bits CDL sells are top quality and not made by cheap imitators.

adk1
12-11-2013, 05:31 PM
I got the Canadian maple bit from bags comes. Thing is see sharp

lyford
12-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Ordering the 5/16 bit from bascom's thanks for the advice guys, -justin

Scribner's Mountain Maple
12-12-2013, 04:47 AM
Speaking of dull drill bits, is there anywhere out there that can sharpen them at a reasonable price? I have a pile of old bits, some really dull, some only a little. It would be nice to bring them all back to new condition.

I know of a place locally that will sharpen knives and chisels. Not sure about bits though

Thanks
Ben

whalems
12-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Just talked to a friend and fellow sugar maker who runs a sharpening shop and he said it is about $10 to sharpen them but they will not hold up as long as new because there is a hardened coating on them that gets ground off when resharpenning

maple flats
12-12-2013, 09:42 AM
I sharpen all my regular bits, but not the tapping bits. I use a Drill Doctor, it will do a good job in short time on bits up to 1/2", the 5/16 would be real quick. It also can sharpen a broken bit but that takes considerably more time. If you try a Drill Dr. get the bigger ones with a replaceable diamond stone. The smallest one is throw away when the stone wears out. I think the small was a 250, I have a 500 and they also make a 750 (handles bits up to 3/4"). I think these were the model numbers, not positive. While one would do the tapping bits, as said above you'd need to redo more often because the harder coating is then gone. They do however do an excellent job.

steve J
12-12-2013, 12:35 PM
I need to order a couple bits but when I looked at leader Check valves it does not say what size bit is needed. Anyone know the answer as I want to leave some hints for Santa to bring me a couple.

DrTimPerkins
12-12-2013, 12:59 PM
You would need a 5/16" bit

sapman
12-12-2013, 07:27 PM
A sugarmaker invented a new device called the Precision Tapper. Looks really good. They are pricey, though. $700, but it includes a 20 volt Dewalt drill.

adk1
12-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Where can u find this

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-12-2013, 07:35 PM
I think Goodrich had a prototype at Verona last year

unc23win
12-12-2013, 07:47 PM
http://www.branonsystems.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgFlVgHONlw

sapman
12-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Seems perfect for me, as most of my taps in the swamp are as high as I can reach. Tough to justify that kind of money, though, especially to the wife!