PDA

View Full Version : Semi-homemade Vacuum System

treehugger
12-05-2013, 06:59 PM
I just bought a gast rotary vane vac pump (model #0822). Decided that I would probably regret investing in a sap puller so I bit the bullet for the high vac system. I also plan on buying a small releaser as my operation is only 210 taps (for the moment). I would like to know if there are any videos or tutorials from this web site showing how to set up a vac system? I have the tubing configured as close to recommended as possible. I just need to see how/where to set up the pump and releaser. Thanks for any help.

maple flats
12-05-2013, 08:25 PM
A very good resource for all things maple is "The North American Maple Syrup Producer's Manual"
While there may be u-tube videos out, some are decent and many are way off base. For that many taps try to see if you can find a Bender Releaser, it is an old dairy releaser with a glass bowl. They work fairly good, but finding one may be the issue.
Then just hook the pump to the releaser using a big enough line, often PVC but be sure to have a moisture trap between them. Look that up on here, they can be made from PVC. The sap main(s) will connect to the releaser and the releaser must have a tank to empty into.

rayi
12-06-2013, 07:26 AM
There is a you tube vidio that is good its done by a couple guys from the other site. Cant remember the name Hell at my age I have trouble remembering my own name

farmall h
12-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Rayi, if you plan to expand in the near future don't bother messing around with a Bender releaser. I had two going at one point on 1600 taps, pvc manifolds, etc. They are a PITA as well as they only operate well on 15-18" vac. I would invest in a 500 tap releaser. Install your new tubing and try to maintain vac at the releaser 22-26". Been there and done it! My 2 cents. :) Best place to put releaser? In sugar house so you can watch it dump!!!!

markct
12-10-2013, 08:52 PM
I have a bender type releaser I use, it works well where it is on the woods at my day job there is about 100 taps on it now but only maybe 170 at most I could hook into it with trees that are on there property, so its perfect for that a more expensive releaser would be a waste of money for that few taps. Mine works well at about 17 inch vac, I don't dare take my little 1940s vintage dairy pump higher than that anyhow, yup I could get more sap with high vac, but I sure get more sap than no vac at all!

treehugger
12-11-2013, 04:46 PM
I bit the bullet and ordered a 500 tap extractor with a moisture trap today. Now just have to figure out how to set it up. My holding tank is outside. I heard that the extractor has to be mounted on top of the holding tank. I wanted to keep all moving parts indoors. Anyone have this type of set up?

unc23win
12-11-2013, 07:02 PM
2 or 3 of the more common solutions would be to 1.Build a small shed and put everything in that and use a pump to pump sap from a tank in there to a bigger holding tank or run inot a tank lowere by gravity. 2. Build a small heated box for everything on top your tank. 3. Build a heated room in your sugar shack.