PDA

View Full Version : PEX tubing for feed line

MISugarDaddy
12-04-2013, 05:09 PM
We are in the process of a finishing the construction of a new sugar house which will include a new sap feed tank. Because of the price of copper over PEX tubing (3 times more expensive), we are using PEX for all the water lines within the sugar house. My question is, has anyone used PEX tubing as an alternative to copper for their feed tank line?

maple flats
12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Pex or maple tubing would work, but if the line freezes you have fewer options to thaw it. With copper you can gently use a torch, moving back and forth the length of the line. Don't just hold it in one place enough to boil the sap with both sides frozen. If you decide to use plastic you could add a heat tape.

psparr
12-04-2013, 05:54 PM
I use pex, and use a torch to thaw it. Just take it easy.

PerryFamily
12-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I have found the best way to ensure the feed line doesn't freeze is to keep in empty. If you had to UN thaw a valve at the tank it is easier than thawing the whole line.

Mine is pvc and has French fittings for easy removal in the event of a problem.

OldManMaple
12-05-2013, 04:43 AM
I like the flexibility and transparency of 30P over pex. I use it for my feed line from tank to Ro and out to the perm tanks. I also use ss barb fittings and use the double ear clamps instead of ss pipe clamps. The line from my concentrate tank is a braided line for a little more flexibility at the preheater

Paul VT
12-06-2013, 08:02 PM
All of these would work fine. I use pexs from my feed tank to my preheater. I haven't had any freezing problems yet. But if it does freeze it won't split like copper sometimes does. And I like the price. :)

BreezyHill
12-07-2013, 09:18 AM
PEX will be fine. I would suggest a hair drier to thaw so that the pipe is not stressed by the high temp of a torch or just a heat tap to keep it from freezing at night. The cost is reasonable and I don't see any major down falls as long as you don't get to much heat back from a preheater, stack or the evaporator. My preheater warps pvc so I have gone to ss dairy line from the tank to preheater. My 20' run was only $40. No worries of freezing as the sugar house doesn't freeze after we start boiling and there is a valve at the tank and I can drain the system into the evaporator if freezing is a concern.

Good Luck!
Ben