PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer

duhamel
12-02-2013, 04:04 PM
first time posting a question.....up here in Canada we are at least 3 months away from tapping but had a problem last season and maybe someone out there can pass on some advice....I broke two hydrometer when they sunk and touched bottom of goblet ? I am doing this test when I think the syrup is ready and not early as some people asked....I am being as delicate as possible but after the second broke i am at a loss.
Thanks
75 buckets
50 taps on lines
Lapierre mini pro evaporator

lpakiz
12-02-2013, 05:06 PM
You will have much better luck if your hydrometer CUP is 1/2 inch shorter than the actual hydrometer. Then you can lower it in.....

BreezyHill
12-02-2013, 05:22 PM
I use a SS cylinder with a handle on it. I fill it with the hydro in to reduce the chance of breakage and replace it after emptying the cylinder so it is ready for the next test.
The weight in the end of the hydro will make a terrific impact on the bottom of the container when the syrup is not able to slow its drop.

Good Luck!

Ben

Ausable
12-03-2013, 02:38 AM
Hi Duhamel - lpakiz gave You good advice. When at the bottom of your test cup - Your hydrometer stem should extend at least an inch above the top of the cup. Never drop your hydrometer into your test cup like a depth charge. If your syrup is too thin and wont float the hydrometer - like a depth charge - it will burst on hitting the bottom of the test cup. It is glass and must be handled with care. Gently lower to the bottom of your test cup - if near syrup, you will feel the resistance as the hydrometer tries to float - if not - it will rest on the bottom.-----Mike-----

Four D Acre Farms
12-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Remember the hydometer wont lie to you about the density of the syrup you are testing(assuming you are using a clean hydrometer with out any buildup on it) no matter what you feel or think about the syrup. We have a lot of old timers that have made syrup in the past, tip our glass bottles and say its not thick enough and have to try to explain a hydometer and its use to them(which they dont always like to hear because theirs was way to heavy). the rest of the advice is great and spot on in regards to lowering the hyrdo. in the test cup. I have made my own test cup with left over 1.5 in dairy pipe. Good luck

knights hollow farms
12-04-2013, 05:59 AM
Hey guys I'm new 2 all this I've sugared on a small pan on a wood stove for a couple years n now I have a 2x4 with 8 inch drop flues I was wondering how 2 use a hydromotor correctly thanks!

unc23win
12-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Hey guys I'm new 2 all this I've sugared on a small pan on a wood stove for a couple years n now I have a 2x4 with 8 inch drop flues I was wondering how 2 use a hydromotor correctly thanks!

Buy or make a cup for it then put it in and draw off or pour in syrup. When the red line floats above the syrup level in the cup you have syrup. You can draw off into the cup or use a dipper to fill the cup.

happy thoughts
12-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Since a couple of you mentioned putting the hydrometer in the cup first and then filling it I just have to say that won't give you accurate results and is not recommended. Any syrup on the hydrometer above the true density line will affect your reading. I don't see how you can pour syrup into a very narrow testing cup without getting it all over the hydrometer even if you're very careful. Best practice is to start with a clean, dry hydrometer and gently lower it into the filled cup. Also mind the syrup temp when calculating your reading.

Four D Acre Farms
12-04-2013, 04:12 PM
In response to the comment of happy thoughts, because i dont know how to do the whole quotes thing, the producers i know as myself dont wash and dry the hydrometer and cup after each test (takes to long) my hydrometer stays in the cup anf gets covered with syrup when testing, and even after a year of storage when i retest density of syrup (for competion) the density is still good. Testing of syrup thoughout the year is done with clean and dry hydrometer. I also see that you are a smaller producer and that is great if you have the time between draws to clean and dry hydrometer and cup. when you are drawing 5 to 6 gallons in an hour it gets a little tough. I am not saying its a bad thing to do its not required.

PerryFamily
12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
I second fourD- I make 5-6 gallons an hour as well and fill my cup with the hydro in the cup. If it makes a mess, oh well, it will drip into the pail. I do rinse it off in hot sap frequently.

happy thoughts
12-04-2013, 04:45 PM
I second fourD- I make 5-6 gallons an hour as well and fill my cup with the hydro in the cup. If it makes a mess, oh well, it will drip into the pail. I do rinse it off in hot sap frequently.

The mess isn't really the problem. It's the weight of syrup clinging to the hydrometer, particularly if it's above the true density line that will give you an inaccurate reading. Dense syrup that's clinging to the terst cup will also throw the reading off.

If the purpose of using a hydrometer is to obtain accurate density then it needs to be used in such a way that an accurate result can be obtained. Rinsing both the cup and hydrometer in sap should certainly help as will inverting the test cup after rinsing so it can drain and also wiping the hydrometer with a dry cloth before inserting in the syrup. Those are things that don't take a lot of time and it shouldn't matter how many times you use it in an hour. Either you want to te4st for true density ot you don't. Otherwise you might as well just use a thermometer alone and just say close enough :).

I'm not trying to be difficult, but it seems there are more than a few posts each year here about bad hydrometer results. This is one place trouble happens and new users should be aware of that.

PerryFamily
12-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Happy- no worries being difficult . Every person does everything different. What works for you may not work for me or someone else. We are all strong willed and opinionated for sure.

One thing I can assure you is that I have had zero issues with density.

Four D Acre Farms
12-05-2013, 06:59 AM
One of the things i share with new producers is that for every sugar maker you talk to, they usually do things with their own flare. One of the best things (in my opionion) is to go sit and watch and ask questions of a veteran sugarmaker before boiling your own,then modify to your own system. I had the priviledge to work with a friend for several seasons before starting on our own, and have taking alot of pratices and info from him but in our sugar house things are done a little different. I am also not tring to be difficult or argumentative but when our syrup passes the density test in competetions that is proof in the syrup, ha ha. The first test syrup has to pass is color grade that it is labeled at, then density, if it fails to meet either one of these catagories it DQ, if passes then on to the clarity and taste. You can and should test the density through out the year. The biggest point is if the syrup is off density you are giving syrup away in your sales if it is heavy and it may not store if it is light.

duhamel
12-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the great advice.....it looks like my stainless steel cylinder maybe the wrong size it's at least an inch deeper than my hydro...? But I will try some of the techniques suggested.......thanks again

Four D Acre Farms
12-12-2013, 04:25 PM
hope you have a great season and all goes well. Good luck