PDA

View Full Version : Storage tank from tractor supply

Kyle M
12-02-2013, 08:45 AM
ANYbody know if these are safe to use for sap storage, states ok for feed and water but does not specifically state fda approved.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/leg-style-storage-tank-65-gal#desc-tab

whalems
12-02-2013, 08:51 AM
As far as I know they are safe. Lots of producers use them. I have a 475 gallon truck tank made of the same material from TSC and have used it for several years.

Kyle M
12-02-2013, 08:54 AM
That's great news, I want it for the back of my truck because my trees are spread out and im hesitant buying used ibcs

spud
12-02-2013, 10:16 AM
ANYbody know if these are safe to use for sap storage, states ok for feed and water but does not specifically state fda approved.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/leg-style-storage-tank-65-gal#desc-tab

That sap tank will work just fine.

Spud

Jmsmithy
12-02-2013, 06:08 PM
My understanding is anything marked HDPE - High Density PolyEthylene - is considered food grade and therefore ok. I don't know about those TSC Tanks. Haven't looked at them yet. I do use many (100 or more) 5 gal HDPE buckets from Home Depot for sap collection. They are sold as food grade containers in lots of 10....

Father & Son
12-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Kyle M,
Google Norwesco and see if anyone in your area is a dealer. $200 for a 65 gallon tank is a lot of money.

Jim

K.I. Joe
12-02-2013, 07:41 PM
I called TSC a while back after not believing their cashier and they said that they are all food grade. Their tanks come from Norwesco I believe (If I remember right) and I looked at their website and it lists them as food grade. I also asked for the MSDS and it lists it there also. You are good to go

Sunday Rock Maple
12-02-2013, 08:35 PM
I was thinking about one of these for permeate but wasn't sure if they would be ok. Sounds like they would be.

Kyle M
12-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. There is no norwesco dealer close by. Yes i agree 200 is alot for 65 gal but it will work great for what i am looking for and tsc is about 5min away so i look at it as im paying for the convience of it

Sugarmaker
12-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Kyle,
We use a 325 gal leg tank from TSC in the back of the truck. It was about $25 I think.
Regards,
Chris

cncaboose
12-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Keep an eye on eBay. I got 2 of these brand new for a lot less.

BreezyHill
12-08-2013, 09:41 AM
The HDPE mark does not necessarily always mean food grade. The facility also needs to be certified as food grade where it was manufactured. New tanks you can asked the seller but on used tanks it is much more tricky. Be certain to keep your receipt on tanks in the event that our industry goes into USDA or FDA certification or oversight. I deal with food grade/animal grade, commercial/natural/organic all the time and it is rather tricky and can cause a lot of confusion very quickly.

Agri Supply is a national dealer and they will ship right to your door. You may want to look at the next size larger tanks to compare price. Some sizes don't fit in the trucks well so shipping is the reason for high costs. 325s were more than 500s 10 years ago; but I could not fit the 500 tank on our truck.

Conveince is always worth a little $$$.

mapletreefarmnh
12-18-2013, 05:09 PM
HDPE does not indicate food grade. Those red buckets from Home Depot are made with recycled plastic and have no food grade certification. It is high time that those who make maple syrup for human consumption adhered to FDA regulations otherwise screw-ups by uniformed sugarmakers will make a bad mark on the industry. Food grade buckets are available with a certificate of authenticity. Contact the Plastics Mfg. of the bucket and check it out. Many re-purposed food grade containers were made as "single use" and should not be used for another food product.

Kyle M
12-20-2013, 08:37 AM
HDPE does not indicate food grade. Those red buckets from Home Depot are made with recycled plastic and have no food grade certification. It is high time that those who make maple syrup for human consumption adhered to FDA regulations otherwise screw-ups by uniformed sugarmakers will make a bad mark on the industry. Food grade buckets are available with a certificate of authenticity. Contact the Plastics Mfg. of the bucket and check it out. Many re-purposed food grade containers were made as "single use" and should not be used for another food product.
I purchase white buckets from lowes which are infact labeled food grade use

bowhunter
12-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Here's a link for Plastic-Mart. They make a variety of plastic tanks and make several that are made from FDA approved materials. They have a few locations across the US, but in most cases they may not be that convenient. If you have a location nearby it might be worth checking them out. They also will ship, but it's pretty expensive. http://www.plastic-mart.com/

adk1
12-20-2013, 03:37 PM
yup, polyethlene is considered food safe as far as I know

Jmsmithy
12-20-2013, 09:35 PM

The buckets I buy from Home Depot are not the red utility buckets. They are white, HDPE and yes, labelled and sold by HD as Food Grade, on their website, in lots of 10... lids are as well, sold separately.

Kyle M
12-21-2013, 08:13 AM
The buckets I buy from Home Depot are not the red utility buckets. They are white, HDPE and yes, labelled and sold by HD as Food Grade, on their website, in lots of 10... lids are as well, sold separately.
jMSMITHY, Just looked at those ten packs, seem pricey, 51.10 for 10 im paying 3.43 a piece for buckets and 2 something for lids( all food grade of course)

RileySugarbush
12-21-2013, 09:16 AM
jMSMITHY, Just looked at those ten packs, seem pricey, 51.10 for 10 im paying 3.43 a piece for buckets and 2 something for lids( all food grade of course)

If you have a big grocery store that has a big bakery, or if you are lucky enough to live near one of the few stand alone bakeries around, you can ask for some frosting buckets. Often free with lids, typically a bit smaller than 5 gallons but big enough. White plastic, food grade obviously, and easy to clean up.

killingworthmaple
12-22-2013, 06:23 AM
If anyone has a Dunkin Dounuts bakery next to them I got my buckets from them they had glaze in them 3 gallon size, food grade and FREE. They get rid of 50+ a day by me. Yes you have to clean them but that glaze makes great bear bait I found some of the buckets with black hair in them before I got a chance to clean them.

Nathan

Jmsmithy
01-15-2014, 06:39 AM

You're right Kyle they are pricey. I'm just starting up and spending a small fortune already, new 16x20 Sugarhouse on a slab w/ 12x20 wood shed attached. New evaporator, tanks, filter etc etc etc....at this point, it ALMOST doesn't matter :lol: