PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for silvers and reds to mature

3GoatHill
11-30-2013, 08:45 PM
The soil conditions on my site are less than ideal, (a mix of compacted areas and wet areas). I have plenty of Norways, my plan is to gradually replace them with native species. If I plant silver maples how many years before they can be tapped. What about red maples? I know there are a lot of variables, but is there a general rule of thumb on this?

maple maniac65
12-01-2013, 07:20 AM
in the woods around 30 years to mature. on good soil with plenty of sun, water and nutrients maybe 22-25

3GoatHill
12-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Thank you. Guess I better get out the shovels more sooner than later!

Drew Pond Maple
12-05-2013, 10:24 PM
If I plant silver maples how many years before they can be tapped. What about red maples? I know there are a lot of variables, but is there a general rule of thumb on this?If you plant from seed I would think a few more years, like 30. Seedlings maybe a bit less. Saplings even less, if you chose to transplant. Also if you plant them in openings in the forest they will do better as they will have more sun light. I know reds grow fast if they don't have much competition. My dad transplanted a red maple that was 1" diameter and 6-8' tall in 1992, got cut down by the power co. ( growing into lines) in 2010 and it was about 14". A little over 1/2" per year of growth. Not to shabby .