PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather boots

madmapler
11-30-2013, 09:50 AM
It was 5 degrees this morning in my tree stand and I could only last 1.5 hrs. due to cold feet. Since I got home I've been searching online for the best "extreme" cold weather footwear I can find and I thought the trader might be a real good source for advice. I see a lot of "mickey mouse" military surplus boots on ebay. Are these any good or are they outdated? I dont mind spending a little money so long as its worth it. Whats the best boot for cold weather? Thanks.

wiam
11-30-2013, 10:47 AM
I have used military surplus from sportsmans guide and been happy. I have worn a newer boot claiming to be military surplus that did not last or keep my feet warm

buck3m
11-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Bunny boots are still the gold standard for warm boots in Alaska. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_boots The black "Mickey Mouse" version aren't quite as warm but are a safer color than the white Bunny Boot version.

As you likely know, loose fitting boots with loose fitting warm socks are really important, as well as a warm hat and clothing.

For extreme cold we carry an old sleeping bag out to the stand. We even have a modified version that has arm holes and we can wear like a coat.

sap retreiver
11-30-2013, 11:26 AM
I've had good luck with my Muck Boots. Very seldom have I worn more than one pair of normal socks. Good chance the wooly's would have been on this morning. I luckily tagged out wed night so I didn't have to test this weather out. Good luck

madmapler
11-30-2013, 11:26 AM
I saw the bunny boots on ebay as well but did'nt know if they were that different other than the color. I guess if thats the Alaskan standard then its worth looking into. Thanks.

madmapler
11-30-2013, 11:38 AM
I luckily tagged out wed night so I didn't have to test this weather out. Good luck I guess "tagging out" while the weather is good is the best way to keep your feet warm. I've had a pretty dismal season 2 years running. Thats pretty much whats got me out there "come what may". Time to get serious.

lyford
11-30-2013, 03:56 PM
i 2nd the "muck" boots, never cold in the my arctic pros

sk8heaven
11-30-2013, 04:34 PM
I live in Northern Minnesota where 30 and 40 below zero are not uncommon. Deer season can bring below zero as well. I am a firm believer in LaCrosse Iceman boots. They can seem a little big and clumsy at first but oh man are they warm and comfortable. I don't even break them out until real cold weather comes (I use my Sorel pack boots until the below zero stuff comes). The liners do pull out for drying if needed and the liners can be replaced. Mine are the Ice King 400G (I believe).

Chicopee Sap Shack
11-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Lacrosse boots all day. But I have heard good things about the muck boots.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

madmapler
11-30-2013, 06:44 PM
I am a firm believer in LaCrosse Iceman boots. Mine are the Ice King 400G (I believe).

sk8heaven,Are yours made in the USA or the newer ones from China. I just did a search on them and the reviews all said that the older ones lasted forever but the new ones fell apart. No offense but I'm finished with the "made in china" junk. Unfortunately you have to look hard for something that is'nt these days.

spud
11-30-2013, 07:07 PM
I have the LaCrosse Burly ATS 18" Waterproof 1200 Gram Insulated Rubber Clad Boots $119.00 They are Camo. They are the most comfortable boot I have even worn and my feet have NEVER been cold.

Spud

68bird
12-01-2013, 06:06 AM
Wife bought me $300.00 LaCrosse chest waders 3 years ago, at the same time bought my boys cheaper Guide Gear waders. I loved the pair she got me! The problem lies in the fact that they use cheap (China) rubber boots and they cracked in front about ankle height. and are JUNK now. Less than three years old!

maple flats
12-01-2013, 07:15 AM
I am a Muck boot guy. Muck has several versions so for cold weather be sure to get the "Arctic" version. Get them a little bigger than usual to leave room for heavy socks when needed. However I have not yet donned the heavy socks, my feet were still warm yesterday with temps in the 3-7 degree range. If it goes to about -5 I add the heavy socks. Make sure the boots are still not tight with the heavy socks for best results.
In my 67 yrs. I've tried dozens of different boots, the Mucks are the first to keep me warm and still not feel overly heavy and bulky. I actually stumbled on them by default. When I was building my sugarhouse I bought a different brand that was similar, but in less than 3 weeks the back just above the heel cracked on both boots just from flexing. When I took them back to complain the store told me to go get another pair. In their boot department they only had 1 boot I could wear, it was mid Jan. and they were very low on stock. That 1 I could wear was a Muck boot. Even though it was made in China I got it in desperation, it was 2 sizes larger than my size but I got it anyways. That was fate, I still have and wear that same pair to this day, but not in extreme cold, it is a lower insulation model called a wetland, but that 1st year I wore it all winter with as many as 2 pair of heavy socks. It was the first boot in my life that kept me warm and even thou over sized, it still was not overly bulky nor heavy. While I still wear that first pair, I don't walk in much water with them as they do leak now, but the leaks came after many years of service.
I try to steer away from "made in China" on everything, except Muck Boots.

sk8heaven
12-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Madmapler - I had to go look at mine - they say made in Thailand on the rubber sole and on the leather upper. I have had them for 5 winters now without a problem - using them on the four wheeler for plowing, sitting in the deer stand when it is cold, setting up tubing in the spring, ice fishing. I do not walk a lot in them but they have been used and show no signs of wear yet. Different styles may be made in different places. I did read some reviews about the poor quality but I have not encountered that on my particular pair.

unc23win
12-01-2013, 10:05 AM
I try to steer away from "made in China" on everything, except Muck Boots.

I like that idea ha ha. I have Muck boots I htink they are the chore ones and I like them a lot I just wish they had a little more ankle support or maybe even made some shorter ones. Maybe they do I will have to check. I might try the arctic ones. I have had several pairs of Rockys, but they always give out after a while on the farm the manure eats boot glue they always come apart in time. I am missing my big toe on my right foot so I am also always looking for a boot that has just the right amount of flex as I can fall becaue I can't dig my toe in.

G.Rainville
12-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I really like my Danner Pronghorn boots. Only 800 gram insulation. They have great traction and are light weight. They also fit good on my snowshoes

Maple Ridge Farm
12-01-2013, 11:24 AM
I have used Baffin boots for years, feet never get cold.

madmapler
12-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Madmapler - I had to go look at mine - they say made in Thailand on the rubber sole and on the leather upper. I have had them for 5 winters now without a problem Different styles may be made in different places. I did read some reviews about the poor quality but I have not encountered that on my particular pair. I may end up eating my words on the "made in china" statement. I went through all this when I was looking for work boots this summer. I ended up with a pair of Georgia brand boots that were made in the US but it took some searching. Like you said, some boots I looked at had 1 style made in China and another still made in the US. Its getting hard to find quality stuff anymore. I think sorels are still made in Canada but I'm not sure. Is Canadian quality any better than China?:lol:

68bird
12-01-2013, 03:36 PM
I have a pair Of Muck's. They are very comfortable, but the covering over the foam can not hold up to any briars! Mine are junk!!!

morningstarfarm
12-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Hey all...have tried many different boots over the years...mucks, especially their wetlands boots are ok...warm was long as you don't wear insulated socks...BUT... The best I have tried are the Whites elk guide boots...air bob soles, great traction, and my feet never got cold wearing them...oh and did I mention that my last pair lasted me 12 years?...wear them every day all winter shoeing horses...whites makes the smokejumper boots and will repair them if you do manage to somehow damage them. They are made in Spokane and if you do get out there they will make a mould of your feet and they keep them for 10 years...whenever I order boots I give them my last number and they fit like a glove from the first time you wear them...just my .02

Pibster
12-02-2013, 10:29 AM
The Dunlop Purofort rubber boots are incredible. It's amazing how warm your feet stay wearing rubber boots. You can wear them year round, warm or cold. Very comfortable, great traction, and long lasting.
http://www.dunlopboots.com/en/product/purofort-thermo-full-safety/c662933

ennismaple
12-02-2013, 01:51 PM
I have 2 pairs of Sorels rated to -60 C and I love them. They have a 3 piece liner and insole to make it easy to dry them out. Worst case you put a pair of the chemical "Toasty Toes" on the inside of the top of the boot and they'll allow you to sit still much longer!

Scribner's Mountain Maple
12-02-2013, 02:09 PM
I have 2 pairs of Sorels rated to -60 C and I love them. They have a 3 piece liner and insole to make it easy to dry them out. Worst case you put a pair of the chemical "Toasty Toes" on the inside of the top of the boot and they'll allow you to sit still much longer!

I will second that statement. The Sorels are so warm I had to give them away. Even with the coldest conditions VT has to offer I found them to be to warm. My feet would sweat even if I wasn't moving. I have had several (10) pairs of lacrosse boots over the years. I like them very much but have had 10 pairs, they crack, get holes and are rendered useless more or less. You can patch holes I know but I want better. My latest try was Irish setters w/ 1200 Grams $$. I like them too, but again, holes in rubber, coming apart at seams. I use them for work and hunting, so they are abused.

If we are talking just keeping toes warm, the Sorel's with the liners are the ultimate and don't have puffs of white fur dancing around calf height like the bunny boots.:D

Ben

madmapler
12-19-2013, 06:13 PM
I ended up getting a pair of Muck boots Arctic sports on sale on ebay for $90.It was a great deal and so far I am quite pleased. Far better than the felt boots I'm used to. Thanks all for your input.

maplecrest
12-20-2013, 05:20 AM
Chippewa makes a minus 50 boot.my pair i am wearing now and bought new in 1979 are still going. Warm heavy duty and do not wet thru. (I ordered a new pair this last week).the vibriam sole is now about smooth. But I wear cramp-ons in the woods because so steep. Will retire this pair too sugar house.the boots are in the 200 dollar range, but look online for a better price. Like amazon.com

maple flats
12-20-2013, 05:45 PM
I ended up getting a pair of Muck boots Arctic sports on sale on ebay for $90.It was a great deal and so far I am quite pleased. Far better than the felt boots I'm used to. Thanks all for your input.
Please send me a PM, where did you find Muck Arctics for $90 bucks, I'll buy another pair.

madmapler
12-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Please send me a PM, where did you find Muck Arctics for $90 bucks, I'll buy another pair.I tried to send you the link. Let me know if it does'nt show up and I'll get my wife to do it.