PDA

View Full Version : Mom lost her battle with cancer last night

Bruce L
11-30-2013, 09:27 AM
It has been a long and very trying battle, both physically and emotionally, but I said goodbye to my Mother last night for the final time at 5:50, by the time I drove home I received the phone call that she had passed at 6:30 Why am I able to write this? I think it is partly because of relief from watching her suffering, and partly because it hasn't really sunk in yet. Her passing at the "young" age of 76 has put a whole new perspective into my life. Live each day with no regrets, don't put off for tomorrow what you can say or do today, because that tomorrow may never come. When I called my oldest son who is off in college now to tell him the news, I could hear him crying on the other end of the line, told me he had to go and said I love you, I replied I love you too. Although times have been trying and stressful with him, we looked forward to him moving away to give us a break, I think he is growing up and realizing that FAMILY IS EVERYTHING
My Mother was a renowned great cook, and although it is slightly different, she instilled that in me for our syrup, to set our standards high and never produce anything for the public that we would not accept ourselves. As I watched the videotape again of an interview a news crew did with us, she was beaming with pride when we were awarded the coveted title of world champion for our syrup
In closing I would say those of you that still have Mothers, cherish them now before it is too late, make your bucket list early and do it while you can still enjoy it and are able before it is too late. My youngest son found this verse on facebook:

At 6 years "Mommy I love you."
At 10 years " Mom, whatever."
At 16 " My Mom is so annoying."
At 18 " I wanna leave this house."
At 25 "Mom you were right."
At 30 "I wanna go to Mom's house."
At 50 "I don't wanna lose my Mom."
At 70 "I would give up Everything for my Mom to be here with me."

spud
11-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Bruce L,

I am so sorry you lost your Mom. Your mom sounds like she was a great lady. I pray for you and your family in hopes the Lord will comfort you during this sad time.

Spud

buck3m
11-30-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry for the loss of your mom, but happy that her struggle is over.

More than many, I think, those of use here understand the following:

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;"

red maples
11-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Sorry for your loss!!! We are going through the beginning of that scenario right now. My Mom is just got her chemo stuff disconnected yesterday. So I know your emotional roller coaster!!!

maple flats
11-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Sorry for your loss. It is always hard to say a final good bye to any loved one, parents, siblings and spouses are the hardest of all. Bless you and your family at this time of sorrow.

Shawn
11-30-2013, 02:11 PM
So sorry for your loss , I lost my mother at age fifty.

Ausable
11-30-2013, 04:17 PM
So sorry Your Mother has passed. My Mother died from the effects of cancer at 74. Although She passed several years ago and my Father too - They are always with me and as I get older (now 73) the memories keep flooding in. Remember the good and let go of any bad - with the knowledge they did the best they could with what they had as we must all do.... May Your Mother - Rest in Peace. ------Mike------

K.I. Joe
11-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Sorry for your loss, I too lost my Mom this year and it is a hard thing to handle but she is better off up in heaven now.

DonMcJr
01-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Sorry for your loss Bruce...

shane hickey
01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Sorry to hear that bruce

Maplewalnut
01-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Bruce sorry for your loss. Lost my dad just over a year ago, it's tough. Find comfort that she is in a better place now

Mike

Super Sapper
01-07-2014, 05:33 AM
Sorry for your loss. She will always be with you in your heart.

spud
01-07-2014, 07:09 AM
Sorry for your loss. May God comfort you and your family during this difficult time.

Spud

Bruce L
01-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers. As of now I believe we are still mainly in denial stage as she has been gone from home to the hospital and nursing home for close to a year now. Memories come flooding back at various times for no apparent reason and sometimes at the most in opportune times like when you are driving. Just the other day I saw her as vivid again as though she were here on one of the days when she had fallen out of her wheelchair, I had her wrap her arms around my neck to lift her back into the chair, you could see the frustration and despair in her eyes.Everyone has told us that the hurt will lessen with time,I think it will be a long time as the cemetery is on the corner of our property where we can see it every day, directly across from the sugar house / driveway to the sugar house ,and her grave is just inside the gate with the bouquet of frozen roses on top. I believe that I may have read Maple Flats is tending to his Mother now? I can honestly say that I know exactly how you feel.

The Sweet Spot
03-03-2014, 08:02 PM
I lost my father two years ago, I'm still not over it. Sorry for your loss. Peace and Love to you and yours.

maplerookie
03-04-2014, 04:49 AM
I too have lost loved ones in the past. My mom lost her battle and then my dad a year later. They were both in their early 60's. They are in a better place now and free from pain. I t is always harder for the living to accept that our mentors and best friends are gone from our sight forever. We will keep them in our hearts and minds for a lifetime. Over time the pain will lessen. There will be times when you think of her and tears will come rushing. That is ok. There will also be times when you will say to yourself ..what would mom do about this... It is a good thing. Eventually you will find comfort in your memories of her . My thoughts are with you and your family as you go through this most difficult time. Plant a tree for her . A nice strong maple.

Galena
03-09-2014, 07:07 PM
My most sincere condolences, Bruce. My maternal grandma lived well into her 90s. But my Mum is only 82 and had a mini-stroke and just very recently major surgery as she had 70% carotid artery blocked up with plaque. She will never be the same again, certainly not able to look after my 87-yr-old Dad anymore. I live on the other side of the country, so have to rely on news from my sibs who live on the West Coast for news and progress. Prepared to fly out there well before my annual late-April visit if necessary.