PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Rules and Regs

WestMINewbie
11-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Hello fellow Michiganders!!!! Hope everyone had a splendid Thanksgiving. We have been preparing for our first crack at making maple syrup. If we are fortunate enough to produce more than what we plan to consume we have tossed around the idea of selling it at the farmers market or at our produce stand. Could anyone point us in the right direction as far as what has to be on the label? Or does Michigan's Cottage Food Industry law cover what we have to do. Any suggestions would be awesome!! Also would anyone have a good working relationship with a good label maker?

MISugarDaddy
11-29-2013, 05:38 PM
The following link should provide you with the information you are looking for since you will be a "cottage industry". It is important to note that Michigan treats honey and maple syrup producers differently than someone selling products they made in their kitchen. Here is the link: http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-50772_45851-240577--,00.html#MapleSyrup

MISugarDaddy
11-30-2013, 05:38 AM
In answer to your last question, my wife prints all of our labels to meet Michigan's requirements using Print Shop software. She prints up labels for each size of container we use on 8.5" by 11" sheets of label paper and then applies them to the containers after they cool. This way she can include all of Michigan's wording requirements such as bottle size, our address and contact information and ingredients (100% pure maple syrup). Send me a PM if you would like her to send you a copy of a label.

Four D Acre Farms
12-03-2013, 07:11 AM
We buy most of our labels commercially(the fda labeling Producer, address, weight, contents) But under the cottage law you have to label each bottle with a label stating (and the excat wording is on the afore mention mi website) that the product is produced in a none ispected facility. The exemption to the cottage law at present for maple syrup and honey is that it cn be sold in retail establishments where you are not present and on sight from my uderstanding.The labels for the cottage law my wife produces on the computer as does MIsurgardaddy the website gives you the info you will need to know such as the wording and the font sizing. Good luck with your endevor.

Sue @ Battel's Sugar Bush
01-29-2014, 02:15 PM
We also write the date on the bottom of each container with a Sharpie so we have a batch number. 031113 = March 11, 2013. 031113b = second run in the same day, when that happens.