PDA

View Full Version : High tensil wire

Parker
02-08-2004, 07:48 PM
I was hanging some mainline wire today and used up all of the 9 gauge wire I had and switched to my first of 3 rolls of 12 1/2 gauge high tensil I have. The 9 gauge I can roll out like tubing or mainline by reversing the coils,,,,,I take it the high tensil does not work like that. I got about 50' up the hill tried the reverse and the spool just came alive and uncoiler itself while it was on my arm....a big knotted birds nest....SWEEEET, it is still up there...I guess I will have plenty of side tension wire for a few years Any Ideas, How does everyone eles do it? Thanks, Parker

syrupmaker
02-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Parker.... when we run it for the pasture we put it on a stand so it is standing up. :idea: We made the stand out of an old car rim with 2 pieces of angle iron welded to it. Run a rod through the spool and lay it acrossed the angle iron.As you walk away it unrolls nicely without the EASTER NEST affect.

Rick

howden86
02-09-2004, 11:59 AM
i had a special spinning jenny made ( the center is about 3 feet high)
9 guage sits very nicely on it. When I used 12 1/2 guage high tensel it springs up so I don't know if I like it either. No advice but I found it different than 9 guage

Brian
02-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Glen has a device that lays on its side, the wire lays on that, then you slide 4 clips aginst the roll of wire. There is a spring tensioner in the middle to keep a little resistance so the coil won't keep turning when you stop. The last time I ran wire I barrowed it. You can run wire as fast as you can walk. I use to uncoil it by hand until I saw that rig in action.

Brian

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-09-2004, 06:24 PM
I use 14 gauge high tensile wire, but I bought mine on a 2000' spoil. I just stick something round like a small branch inside of it and roll it out by hand by myself. If you could buy it in spoils, it seems like it would work better.

I am going to try some 9 gauge in the future, but so far I have been really happy with the 14 gauge.

michaelh05478
02-10-2004, 06:42 AM
Is the wire a farmer uses for his fences good enough to use for pipe lines?? I know its cheaper then the rolls the dealers soak you for??? and you get a lot more wire!!! I also found that the farm stores have the tighteners and pvc fittings a lot cheaper then the dealers!!!!!

Salmoneye
02-10-2004, 06:45 AM
The wire I use comes with a handle...Attach the end and walk...Unrolls and is straight without curling or kinks...

Electric fence wire from an Ag store...Will easily hold a mainline without sags when tightened...I also buy the tensioners from Ag stores...About half the price of the same items from a 'Maple Dealer'...

mapleman3
02-10-2004, 06:59 AM
Mike the 12 gage wire I used was from a farm store... I guess it was fence wire.. seems ok so far

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-10-2004, 07:05 AM
Mike,

What I use is high tensile electric fence wire and it has worked great so far even for my 1/2" mainlines. I only use 14 gauge and may go with heavier in the future, but I didn't know any better when I put up my lines. Even with it being a lighter gauge, it has worked great. I had a very large limb on it the other day--about 5" in diamater and about 30' long and it only stretched it a little.

I got a 2000' roll for $ 15 and the tensioners for less than 2 bucks each. It is a disgrace what the maple people sell them for. The ones Bascoms sells are identical to mine and over about 250% more. Makes me sick to my stomach the way the rip people off! :x :x

michaelh05478
02-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Brandon! I know what you mean...I paid $525 for my 760 gal SS holding tank brand new last year!!!! I can see why it takes a few years to make any money at this... Some things you just have to shop around for!!! It would be cheaper if a bunch of us got together and ordered a pile of pipe line stuff together,,,,We could probally save some coin....

mapleman3
02-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Mike did you get your oil?, do a test boil and clean the evap yet??? come on we are wondering how that shiney new baby does!!!! ;)

michaelh05478
02-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Jim, The oil is comming thursday!! I have a guy comming on the 18th for a test fire and set up.....ill keep you posted....I just hope the generator works...had problems last time i used it....

mapleman3
02-10-2004, 02:59 PM
yikes.. getting down to the wire 8O :wink: more tubing this weekend to huh?