PDA

View Full Version : tanks

tendermason
11-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Would a plastic tank that had mineral oil in it be good for sap storage? Thanks

StayinLowTech
11-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Absolutely not. No way to clean adequately. Remember that the publicity from a contamination issue by one producer will effect all of us.

maple flats
11-26-2013, 12:11 PM
There are lots of IBC's (intermediate bulk containers) out there, also known as cage totes. Just be certain it had a food item in it and nothing strong flavored. A few good examples are ones that had apple concentrate, canola oil, vanilla extract, or other items that would be considered mild. Only use one that you know has not been reused for other things. These sell for about $75-125. Then clean it well.
I cleaned the ones I use by getting a tripod sprinkler, lowered it in thru the opening, opened the valve and turned on the hose. I had the tripod adjusted so the spray hit the entire underside of the top. After cleaning, I sprayed it inside with a 10% bleach solution and let it set for 30-60 minutes. I then set up the sprinkler again, opened the valve and ran it for about 30 minutes. Then let it dry, set the cap on loosley , close the valve and wait for maple season. I also do another final rinse shortly before maple season, maybe 15 min. or so.