PDA

View Full Version : Delaval 76 dairy pump oil reclairmer

vernon
11-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Hi all.. I have been searching old post for a home made oil reclaimer, does anyone still use one that they have made and works to flood the pump for high vacuum? Their is a lot of info on here but would any one have pictures or info on how it works? Thanks Vernon

jrmaple
01-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Hi, I am in the same boat, I am looking for advise on an oil reclaimer for a Delaval 76, any info or pictures would be great… Mine has the cup oil system currently and would like to get as high as vacuum as possible. Thanks.

PARKER MAPLE
01-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Bump this me to

vernon
01-31-2015, 07:48 PM
Still looking for ideas..I made one and t seem to work OK but when I push it over 21" it seems to knock ? Would anyone know way it knocks? Could it have to much oil or to little running through it? Thanks Vernon

BreezyHill
02-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Knock is a bad bearing... change the bearing or the shaft will be junk fast.

Send me a pm and I can give you a prior pm sent for a reclaimer design. It will depend on what you can get for the reclaimer unit as to the build but scavenge up your container and let me know.

Ben

vernon
02-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Bearing change is a easy fix.I made a reclaimer out of a 10 gal. ss vacuum cleaner.Put wire mesh 4 inches from bottom and put ss wool on top of mesh to almost the top of tank. Exhaust goes in at the mesh level and out the top.I keep about 2 inches of oil in bottom., ran all year and used hardly any oil.I have a brake line going to each bearing. It runs warm but not hot, can put hand on it for quite a while. Will check bearing when I get a chance. Thanks Vernon

vernon
12-06-2015, 02:50 AM
Have changed bearings and still have the same knock on above 21 inches? Found another pump and no knock at 29 inches.Will keep old pump for spare.

maple maniac65
12-06-2015, 07:09 AM
What are you using for a vacuum regulator? I changed mine from the typical bell style to a air compressor regulator. I just reversed the plastic pulpet to make it a vacuum regulator. This stopped the raping noises and smoothed out the pump at 22 inches.

BreezyHill
12-06-2015, 11:37 AM
When you changed the bearing how did the vanes look?

If there is one that is not moving freely you will get a thud as the Kevlar vane hits the housing as it gets enough force to throw toward the housing. This will cause a wave in the housing surface that will reduce vacuum.

Sticking vanes will cause a vac gauge to jump or shake. the higher the rpm the faster the shake. Slow rpm and apposing vanes will also cause a fast shake.

I use a air grinder with a scotch disc or buiscit to clean the housing, stone hone to remove the wave and she should pull good vac again.

76 at 29 is a great pump. Use good oil and she will last a long time for you.

How did the reclaimer turn out?

Ben

blissville maples
01-15-2016, 06:52 PM
yes, knocking is typical of vanes sticking until enough force to throw them out, I had a 78 and noticed trying to run at 25 would create more heat and make vanes stick and not slide so freely, causing slamming. I introduced more air dropped vac to 20'' and works much better no slamming, delaval man said over 25'' there is no air moving through pump creating a lot of heat. these pumps were designed to operate at 12-18'' so.......

BreezyHill
01-16-2016, 07:41 AM
yes, knocking is typical of vanes sticking until enough force to throw them out, I had a 78 and noticed trying to run at 25 would create more heat and make vanes stick and not slide so freely, causing slamming. I introduced more air dropped vac to 20'' and works much better no slamming, delaval man said over 25'' there is no air moving through pump creating a lot of heat. these pumps were designed to operate at 12-18'' so.......

partially correct. To achieve a desired level of vacuum a pump must either have air introduced to the system or have the speed of the pump adjusted.

Vacuum pumps are designed to remove air from a system as rapidly as possible. The optimum vacuum level of the time of the early to mid 1900's was 15-18". Only in the last 10 years has a level of12" been found to be beneficial to the longevity of the mammary system of a milking animal.

You can go to CDL website and find Delaval pumps utilizing the 78 pump to produce a 22 to 25" continuous level of vacuum. All you need to do is meet the requirements of the pump to maintain these levels of vacuum.

When Kevlar is exposed to moisture contaminated oil the vein can expand under heat. This is due to the expansion of the water trapped in the vein. This is why it is very important to use vacuum pump oil, presoaking the veins prior to installation, and proper care of the pump prior to storage for the off season.

I have a customer with a 78 that is run at 14" and the veins stick and it produces enormous amounts of heat. The pump is being run at a high speed setting to provide the highest cfm rating the pump can provide.

Slowing the pump down will create much less friction and remove much less air = lower vac reading and lower heat generation levels.

Knocking is also a sign of bearing failure and improper clearances that result in the pump. Depends on the sound of the knock, frequency, pitch, and other associated sounds; and is all dependent on the speed of the pump. Change the speed and the same pump will sound entirely different.