PDA

View Full Version : Building an evaporator

Wood burn
11-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Building an evaporator
I'm building a evaporator and I've got a few questions . What should the distance be between the grate and the bottom of the pan ? Also need to know how close should the ramp get to the bottom of the pan and at what angle should it be ?

Thx any info would be great

Drew Pond Maple
11-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Do a search on 2x6 taller arch in homeade equipment. That should get you started

Bucket Head
11-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Eighteen inches is a common distance between pan and grates.

What do you have for pans?

The ramp should go pretty close to the pan bottom without touching it. The thickness of the insulation has to be figured in, if your using any. I have about a half inch between my flue pan and the insulation.

The angle depends on the grate length and the type of pan you have. My "ramp" goes from the back of the grates up to approx. ten inches back from the front of my flue pan. Its a raised flue pan. A drop flue pan would be done a little differently. Maybe some drop flue owners will chime in here and give their dimensions for comparison.

Good luck with it.

Steve

Wood burn
11-25-2013, 09:19 PM
My grate is going to be approximately thirty inches long and I will be using a 2x4 flat bottom pan . I only tap about 50 to 60 trees so I'm thinking that with this setup I should get a evap rate of about 10 maybe 12 if i use AUF