PDA

View Full Version : Prebuilt shed for sugar shack?

country350
11-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Being limited on time I am considering buying a prebuilt shed locally for my new sugar shack. There is an amish company near me that builds a 10x16 saltbox style shed that appears to be very well built. Im leaning towards going this route. Does anyone has any experience using a prebuilt shed like this for a sugar shack? One concern I have is that the front side wall is only 7 feet tall and the back is 6 feet tall. Is this high enough? Anything else I need to consider? I am thinking I can use one side for my half pint evaporator and the other half for my bee keeping equipment.

Ligonierbeech
11-23-2013, 03:44 PM
I don't see why not. Just need to get the ventalation for the steam. I also would like to have a building for both maple syrup and my beekeeping equipment!

silveradomaple
11-24-2013, 07:04 AM
I used a kit to build my sugarshack. Built a 8'x12' one. Was designed to be used as a storage shed, but with some minor adaptations, (for roof vent) it makes a great sugarshack for my MASON 2x4. LOWES and HOME DEPOT have them in several sizes, so finding one for your needs should not be too dificult.

country350
11-24-2013, 07:49 AM
I am glad to hear that others have used a shed kit for their sugar shack.

Silveradomaple - what kind of roof vent did you use? How easy was it to install with the singles already installed? Do you have any problems with steam build up inside of the shed?

silveradomaple
11-24-2013, 02:24 PM
For the roof vent, I just went and bought a couple sheets of aspenite and 3 or 4 2x4's and proceeded to cut a hole in the existing roof and pieced it in. As for steam build-up inside, I rarely have a problem with it. It seems to depend on the weather conditions and wind direction. Just be sure to build your vent big enough. Somewhere here in another thread that I read, it said the vent should be the same size or larger than your pans.8142

BAP
11-25-2013, 08:33 AM
If you think the shed is a little to short, set it on a row or two of cements blocks to raise it up. The other thing you could use is some pressure treated 6x6 layed down or build a stub wall. There is an outfit in Jamacia, Vt called Jamacia Cottage Sheds that makes shed kits that are shippable and they make 2 or 3 sugarhouse models.