PDA

View Full Version : Clinometer APP

unc23win
11-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Anyone ever used a clinometer to get the slope for lines? I have heard about them, but never used one. I was reading in the Sugarmakers Companion about using one, so I looked for apps and it turns out there are a number of apps available some free. I got one for my Iphone 5 made by company called SeeLevel for .99 because the description seemed to fit what I was looking for better.

I did some testing at work seems easy to use and spot on I measured and did the math and it was right on. You can set it to read % of slope and then it gives you a line to line up with 1st point tilt your phone so first point is on line and second point is in cross air and it tells you the slope. It utilizes the phones zoom features so seeing at distance is not an issue. I am anxious to test it the woods I think it will save me some time as I pretty much do everything on my own.

It also has some measuring features as well as a level and the app can be calibrated for sea level.

Just thought I would share.

lew
11-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Sounds like an awesome app. I will definitely look into this. I use a small laser level now and thought that was pretty good. But it's hard to find that little red dot at any distance. Thanks for sharing

BreezyHill
11-23-2013, 08:50 AM
I have two of them. One will ready percent of slope; while the other is more for grade design. The second has an adjustable bubble that is set for the desired grade. The second is my favorite as it is quicker, more steady and .
Red glasses or goggles are available for the laser levels to find the red dot easier, but it is still tough to find that little dot with out a set of radios and a knowledgeable person on the level giving directions to find and mark the dot.
I have been thinking of a range finder and a rotary level beacon. Then it is truly a 1 man operation. Range find the beacon and calculate elevation for desired slope and mark the tree. Those that are fortunate enough to have ample slope don't understand the turmoil of establishing that 2% slope
The only concern with the app is if it is like the gps units they have a margin of error that can put you out of flow if there is poor satellite coverage. The standard 2' variance could be a killer for flow and vac.

Ben

unc23win
11-23-2013, 04:47 PM
The app doesn't use GPS. My testing is that it seems to be very accurate. It works because the software can tell what angle the phone is being held at. Nothing needed but a phone that is charged.

BreezyHill
11-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Jared, I would be willing to bet that it is running of the internal gps of the phone. I use a Garmin cxs unit that has all the bells and whistles and the heading for the compass to the clinometer is all run of the satellites. Not saying this is not useful but I would not rely on it. Call me old fashioned but you cant beat a transit and instrument for getting that 2% grade perfect. To do by yourself. Pick up one of those led level sets and tag your end tree. You may need a set of red goggles to see the dot well but many are good to 1500'. If you want cheaper yet get camera tripod and a 24" level and a laser pointer. Velcro the laser to the level and tap the level to attach to the tripod. Adjust the tripod to level, tag a tree at a known distance, mark the correct slope height from the level mark. Readjust the tripod to tag the slope mark and then tag your last tree for the mains and you are good to go. I have seen good instrument tripods on craigslist for $35. Level will be around $30 at HD and the laser at staples are about $10. batteries at the $ store.

Sharing is the gift that keeps on giving.

unc23win
11-25-2013, 09:52 AM
I don't need any help thanks. Although I do enjoy reading as you go on and on and on and on and on and on.

BreezyHill
11-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Oh you are in the KISS method. I use the informative method. LOL

unc23win
11-25-2013, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't consider it a simpler method. But if it works and I don't have to drag all of the equipment you suggest out in the woods I can get the job done and move on. I know for a fact that it does not use GPS it uses the internal accelerometers in the Iphone and the accuracy compares to a high powered laser level, but thanks for crashing the post.

DrTimPerkins
11-25-2013, 10:57 AM
The app doesn't use GPS.

That is probably correct for most "level" apps. Most smartphones these days use digital magnetometers and accelerometers to measure direction and angles. These are surprisingly good -- probably as good as (or even better than) recent inexpensive hand-held GPS units, and probably better than most consumer-level GPS units more than a few years old, and just as good (if not better) than a digital level (in terms of sensor precision, although the level is better as a sighting tool due to the longer beam length). Of course the precision and accuracy of the instrument is going to be highly dependent upon the implementation of the sensor, the unit (phone) itself, and the software (app) as well as the technique employed (hand-held or tripod) and the person using the tool.

For a quick measurement in the woods I wouldn't have any qualms using a smartphone (and have the "Theodolite" app by Hunter on my iPhone), but for more precision work where grade was more important, would probably use a clinometer (hard to beat gravity) or a digital level. For really precise work where I needed to have good distance, compass, and angular measurements I'd pull out a digital hypsometer (way faster than a transit)...but that would be fairly rare. The tool you use depends what you want to do with the measurements taken.

murferd
11-26-2013, 08:14 PM
I just got a Johnson Sight Level, just look through & line bubble up with cross hair. Seems really simple & only $25.00.

DoubleBrookMaple
12-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Dang...

I discovered the APP after I bought a useless sight level for $10. Did a search, and found this thread too late. I had to pay $.99 extra for the "camera mode" on my android...
As shown in this video, I found that the screen is too dark, and you cannot zoom, so in the woods I could not get good definition to get an accurate reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWWbBrBD_P8

unc23win
12-30-2014, 09:15 PM
I use mine all the time. I set up and install all my lines by myself.

wishlist
12-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Doublebrook, what is the name of the android app?

DoubleBrookMaple
12-31-2014, 09:55 AM
Doublebrook, what is the name of the android app?I use Amazon and Google Play for all my apps, just do a search for "clinometer". It is put out by Plaincode. It is available from any of the app stores I am sure. Amazon has it for free here... http://www.amazon.com/plaincode-Clinometer/dp/B006LMQ3C0

THis is the Plaincode site. http://www.plaincode.com/products/clinometer/

Eric

mtnmeadowmplfarm
01-03-2015, 05:32 AM
A clinometer is hands down the way to go. As Dr. Perkins said, you can't beat gravity. I use one manufactured by Suunto. It is compact and accurate.

wishlist
01-03-2015, 08:33 AM
Thanks Eric, I got it off of the play store. Very easy to use. It's better than that $20 sight level that I can't see thru.

For sale : 1 lightly used sight level. Lol.........