PDA

View Full Version : Trading Syrup for Venison

jrgagne99
11-17-2013, 05:45 PM
I want to barter some of my syrup to people at work for vension. I typically sell quarts for $18, but don't really have a good idea of how much venison would be fair to ask for in return. Obviuosly there are all different cuts of vension, (tenderloins, steaks, hamburg, sausage, etc.). My initial thought was to value venison at 2x the price of grass-fed beef equivalent. Does this seem reasonable to all you sugaring hunters out there? If not, what value-factor would you use?

peckfarm
11-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Great question...the best answer I can come up with is: if you could buy wild venison how much would you pay? For me an unsliced pound of tenderloin would be worth a pint anyway if not more.

ToadHill
11-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Not sure what the laws are in New Hampshire, but in NY it is illegal to buy or sell wild game. Although you are proposing to barter for the venison, that may legally constitute selling and buying. Just to be safe I would check into it before I did it.

Flat Lander Sugaring
11-18-2013, 04:45 AM
Not sure what the laws are in New Hampshire, but in NY it is illegal to buy or sell wild game. Although you are proposing to barter for the venison, that may legally constitute selling and buying. Just to be safe I would check into it before I did it.

Nothing is illegal until you get caught:mrgreen:

maple maniac65
11-18-2013, 05:45 AM

It is also illegal here to offer for sale of wild venison. To offer as a trade is another question, done it many times.

jrgagne99
11-19-2013, 10:07 AM
I corresponded with an officer from the NH Fish and Game Department. According to them, in NH, there is no law against bartering. You just need to make sure the meat is clearly marked with the date of its receipt and the name and address of the owner (hunter).

With that issue out of the way, I'm still looking for feedback on a starting point for negotiating syrup trades for venison.

To you hunters out there, would you value your venison at 2x the value of grass-fed beef, 4x, or maybe some other factor?

tcross
11-19-2013, 02:22 PM
i think you are going to get a lot of different answers for your question! I don't think you'll be able to put a solid # on it! for many hunters the price of their venison/kill will vary greatly! I know for myself, venison is very very high up on the priority list of foods I eat! and my wife loves it so that even means more! for example, i'd want your $18 for a decent cut of venison, (not a tenderloin... that'd be about double!) but for a buddy of mine who kills 3 a year (to my 1 every other year), he may want 1/2 that price for his venison! Find a single guy who bow, rifle, and muzzle loader hunts, and who may go out of state to hunt... they'll probably give you some venison!

jrgagne99
11-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks for your input tcross.

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a single right answer. I'm just trying to survey a bunch of people to see what range people value their venison at. Tell it to me as a price per pound, as a factor compared to home-grown beef, or however you want! The more feedback the better!

madmapler
11-19-2013, 04:10 PM
I considered replying to your post when you first put it up but I could'nt give you a real answer. Tcross said it well. I've had years when I gave away entire deer because my freezer was full. Right now thats (unfortunately) not the case and I simply would'nt part with any of it. We highly value our venison not only for the taste but because its natural and an extremely lean source of protien (leaner than turkey breast) but its never been a money thing. I personally like to share when theres some to go around and would gladly accept a gift of syrup in return. Just agree upon what ever makes you both happy.

jgrenier
11-20-2013, 06:49 AM
If I had to put a price on it I would charge $15.00 per pound. If you consider how much work it is to shoot a deer.

lyford
11-20-2013, 07:50 AM
I agree with madmapler, i enjoy giving venison as a gift to family and friends, especially those that either cant hunt or were unsuccessful in their hunt. However, I don't think i would barter for something like syrup that I can and do make for myself. Perhaps someone would be more willing if they didn't produce thier own syrup. Either way, good luck!

ericjeeper
11-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Here in Indiana is is illegal to sell or barter wild fish or game.

Jmsmithy
11-25-2013, 05:38 AM
You might want to consider looking at some of the online venison retailers such as D'Artagnan....now this is farm raised venison but would certainly give u a good indication of retail pricing....

jrgagne99
11-25-2013, 08:01 AM
I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the suggestion.