PDA

View Full Version : Arch board

HanginAround
10-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Hangman, arch board is rigid insulation board, made from mineral fibre, for insulation between your firebrick and your arch. It's usually 1" thick, comes in sheets about 1' x 3', and you can get it at any maple supply or probably any place that sells pottery and kiln supplies. $2.75 per sq. ft., or $120 a case would probably be normal. It's very easy to cut with a utility knife so takes minutes to install before you brick.

In this pic, you can see the board across the back where I haven't started to brick yet:

http://www.thepixplace.com/img82543.html

Fred Henderson
10-25-2006, 04:36 AM
HanginAround, Are the pins that are holding the ceramic blanket the ones that are for very hig tempertures, If they are where did you get them?

HanginAround
10-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Yes, I think they are called "refactory stainless"or "Inconel" (high temp SS alloy), and you can get them where you buy ceramic blanket. Your maple supply should have them or will get them for you, or find an online place that sells kiln or furnace supplies. They aren't cheap, I think $4-7 per pin and washer set. These ones were installed in the Lapierre/Waterloo/Small plant in Waterloo, QC.

Fred Henderson
10-25-2006, 10:20 AM
4 bucks is cheap after I talked with Leader Evaporator this morning. $6.95 for a 4-1/2 pin and washer

JimW
10-25-2006, 05:16 PM
How do you attach the arch board to the metal? high temp mortor?

Jim

HanginAround
10-25-2006, 07:53 PM
If you are bricking over it, you don't have to fasten it, the bricks hold it in place. If you are putting it someplace where it could move, high temperature silicone will work. You can use that for ceramic blanket too I think, but hard to put more than one layer. Maybe someone has a better or easier method.