PDA

View Full Version : Test boil on 55 gallon drum evaporator

Ligonierbeech
11-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Well I did a test boil today. Very pleased how it worked
Can't tell you evaporation rate but I'm sure it was low. Lol
I only have a 16x30 smokylakemaple pan! Should be a little over 3 gallon an hour!
Can't ward till spring!!! Will have to do some tweaking to improve things!

Ausable
11-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Congratulations - You now have the ability to reduce maple sap to maple syrup. Hope You make lots of good maple syrup. Also - Don't make the mistake I did. Invest in a syrup hydrometer right from the start - Takes the guess work out of making maple syrup. ----Mike----

Dennis H.
11-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Looks nice, you will have a boat load of fun using it.
And about the time the barrel is used up in about 2 years you will be just like the rest of us and looking to find out how to get your hands on a larger evap, an RO and more trees!

kiteflyingeek
11-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Congrats!! Glad you already have done a test boil -- that's exciting.

I just got my 2x6 pans from Smoky Lake last weekend as Jim was coming home from LEME in PA. I'll be posting pictures soon. My arch is still a pile of steel at my cousin's house so a test boil is still a ways off for me.

Like the others have said, welcome to the addiction ;-)

--andrew

Ligonierbeech
11-16-2013, 07:29 PM
I was glad to get the test boil in had a nice day today to do it! Still have to get more wood spilt!

Tappy Sap Master
11-19-2013, 05:00 AM
Thats exactly how i started. Be prepared its an addicting hobby (disease). Have fun with it!:lol:

Ligonierbeech
11-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Yes It is! Last year I used a pot over an open fire! Made two and a half pints of great syrup!
Hope to get more this year!😄