PDA

View Full Version : Moving a evaporator

rayi
11-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Ok it looks like my sugar shack will not be up in time for sap run in the spring. I really don't want my new 2 by 6 sitting out for some one to steal. Has anyone ever put wheels on their evaporator so they can move it. I was thinking of some kind of frame underneath with wheels. Would dry place the bricks and when the shack is ready I would put it in. I dont think I would move it after every run just out of the garage then back in then into the shack. Any ideas help or plans would be appreciated

DrTimPerkins
11-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Ok it looks like my sugar shack will not be up in time for sap run in the spring. I really don't want my new 2 by 6 sitting out for some one to steal. Has anyone ever put wheels on their evaporator so they can move it. I was thinking of some kind of frame underneath with wheels. Would dry place the bricks and when the shack is ready I would put it in. I dont think I would move it after every run just out of the garage then back in then into the shack. Any ideas help or plans would be appreciated

For many manufacturers the legs can be swapped out for (threaded) wheels. Check with your supplier or just check the legs on your rig.

rayi
11-14-2013, 01:31 PM
When it gets here tomarrow (the first day of deer hunting) I'll check. Any one know what legs look like on a Phanauff evaporator.

red maples
11-14-2013, 02:53 PM
mine are welded not adjustable but mine is a few years old. newer ones may be adjustable.

Maybe a couple of these. these are rated at 1000lb max each!!! If you have a tractor supply local and then you can put 2 or 3 of these under to distribute the weight.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/jobsmartreg%3B-mini-furniture-dolly-4-wheels

Michael Greer
11-14-2013, 05:47 PM
I put mine on a couple of 4x8 skids, and then rolled it on 1-1/2" PVC rollers and planks. It rolled nice and easy, and with no helpers.

rayi
11-14-2013, 06:12 PM
I like both ideas. I'm just worried that I'll bend something and then the hoods will not fit.

lpakiz
11-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Do you have a friend with a snowmobile or classic car? They make dolly's that are full castor and very capable of supporting all that weight.
Aluminum road signs ( old, faded ones, don't go out with a flashlight and 5/16 wrenches) make a good short length bridge over door sills, cracks, tailgates, etc.

tuckermtn
11-14-2013, 08:26 PM
lpakiz - how do you know they are 5/16 bolts? ;)

lpakiz
11-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Saw em in the headlights while stopped at a stop sign?

noreast maple
11-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Is the stop sign still there? :o

lpakiz
11-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Yes, of course. Just funnin! I retired from the local County Highway Department. We had to change out bent, damaged, faded, etc, signs, so a few used ones found their way to my place. Unbelievable how stiff and resistant to bending they are, at least til a semi runs one over. I think the aluminum must be tempered or hardened or something.