PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Line

Tappy Sap Master
11-12-2013, 06:07 AM
I was wondering if anybody has issues with the way the lateral line hook connector that connects to the mainline wire or in my case the rapifix strapping. The angle it comes in, it seems the sap has to go up hill then around to the saddle. I am all on gravity, there is probaly no issue with everything on vac. Just looking for a few pointers on how to remedy this.

unc23win
11-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Try the connector upside down with hook up that will lift the wire, but it will function the same and the the tubing should stay down.

Maple Ridge
11-12-2013, 02:53 PM
I had the same issue until one day when I was coming back from bascoms and saw how they installed there laterals. They used 5/16" hollow core nylon rope. You can buy it at a hardwear store and it comes with the installation tool. I now go streight into my saddels and tie the lateral off to the main line. Works good for me.

Tappy Sap Master
11-12-2013, 04:41 PM
8114 Here is a pick of what I was talking about. I like the idea of using the nylon rope that should keep it from diving down. There is two different configurations: 1) the normal way 2) installed upside down.

maple flats
11-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Mine are all on vac and that little rise is what you watch if there is an air leak in that main. When you see a fast moving set of bubbles in that rise, you go up stream to locate the leak. On gravity that is not an option. I don't know what you could do to eliminate the rise easily and quickly.

unc23win
11-13-2013, 07:15 AM
Yea sorry I guess I thought you were using wire. If you are using the rapifix to hold the mainline tight side to side you could probably eliminate the loop. Maybe try hooking the rapifix next to the saddle if you can hold the saddle from rolling some how then maybe just not use a hook?

The nylon rope thing might work for you as well the question would be where or how to hook it.

tcross
11-13-2013, 11:40 AM
I have mine set up with a wire holding up the main. i'm going to vacuum next year, but I will have the same issue this year with gravity. I guess I was assuming that the pressure build up in the lateral form the sap build up and would push the sap over that little rise?? am i wrong in thinking that? with the main line hook connector and with my main tightly to the wire... it certainly won't go in upside down unless I take a bunch of the ties off the main line... which may work in some spots but not every one!

Tappy Sap Master
11-14-2013, 05:38 AM
Thanx for everyone's input i will try to figure out something.

BreezyHill
11-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Switch the way you are pulling the connector. Currently you are pulling on the under the mains side of the tie strap. Come straight across the top and it will have a straight shot to the saddle. You may want to lengthen the strap so the connector is further from the mains to get a straighter shot also.

Ben

Typical8
11-16-2013, 08:57 PM
You need to do a tighter loop on the mainline. If you keep the loop tight then come around the bottom to the top with the strap this will eliminate that dip you are getting. It is a little harder to get the strapping to lock in but has nice results.

CTSap4Maple
02-22-2015, 06:27 PM
Tappy Sap,
Wondering how you made out with your setup. I will have the same system on gravity this year and wondering if you had enough pressure to move sap up the little hill.

Tappy Sap Master
03-02-2015, 08:16 AM
It would have probably worked better if i was able to get better slope on my main but i have a 2.5% slope. As it is, my trees at the end of my lateral i had to tap all of them with a ladder just to get that 5% slope needed. I have a small vac setup i installed shortly there after these previous posts so it wasnt an issue anymore.

BreezyHill
03-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Likely would not be issue on gravity either but if you use the drop tubing for the loop it lays flatter as it has less memory than semi or rigid. You can also spin the tubing to get a flatter lay with pliers to hold the connector and tubing tool on the tubing. You are just fighting the natural coil of the roll of tubing.

I use the Rapid tie also and splice in the connector and pull the line supper tight then hook it, then cut of the loop section. This helps it lay flatter.

Ben