PDA

View Full Version : I want to Rebottle from glass jars to plastic jugs

Cindee
11-03-2013, 02:40 PM
:confused:
I have 16 pints of mason jars with our syrup in them. I do this for each batch because this way I can monitor the color of the syrup as the season progresses. We ran out of the syrup in our plastic jugs and people prefer the cut jugs to the glass jars. I just want to be clear on this.

Can I empty all the syrup into my pot, reheat to 190 degrees and then just fill up the plastic jugs? Do I have to re-filter since there isn't any sand in the jars. Do I have to take another reading?
I really don't want to have to re-filter because it takes such an ungodly amount of time. This season I want a press that will do this in minutes and not hours.

Thanks

psparr
11-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Heat it slow so niter won't form. If you have a hydrometer check it at 190. I forgot where I saw it, but there is a good chart on how much water to add for heavy syrup.

vermaple
11-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Cindee

Niter will begin to precipitate in syrup at about 180 degrees. If your syrup is at the correct density and well filtered, heat to 180-185 degrees and can quickly to minimize evaporation. refiltering should not be necessary.

red maples
11-05-2013, 07:46 AM
you shouldn't have to fully refilter but as a rule even if I am breaking down say a 1/2 gallon or gallon for smaller containers, I have it at room temp and ALWAYS ALWAYS run it through a pre-fliter. then reheat to 185 and rebottle. After you reheat it though be aware of color change. everytime you reheat syrup it will go darker. So if you are say right on the edge of a med. you will probably go into dark by the time it goes into the new bottle. So just do a quick check before you bottle it.

maple maniac65
11-06-2013, 06:04 AM
I really don't want to have to re-filter because it takes such an ungodly amount of time. This season I want a press that will do this in minutes and not hours.

are you using a cone filter? a flat prefilter would work since the syrup is already filtered and clear. a kitchen colander and a stock pot would work for a filter and tank if you do not have a filter tank. A press is nice but on small batches you will lose too much syrup in the press when filtering even with a short bank.

red maples
11-06-2013, 09:27 AM
for small batches I just use a piece of flat filter in a strainer over the pot. it goes right through quickly. for a bigger batch I have the strainer piece that goes right into the canner and I always use it when breaking into a bulk pack. its really quick!!! goes right through. there is no niter in it and if there is it has settled out by now just use caution pouring it off.