PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a 6,100 Gallon Vertical Plastic Tank??

palmer4th
11-03-2013, 06:52 AM
This question is just because I am curious. Bascoms is selling a 6,100 Gallon Vertical Plastic Tank. Was it even possible for them to clean this sized tank at the end of the season??

https://www.bascommaple.com/item/u4066/used_tanks/

spud
11-03-2013, 06:34 PM
This question is just because I am curious. Bascoms is selling a 6,100 Gallon Vertical Plastic Tank. Was it even possible for them to clean this sized tank at the end of the season??

https://www.bascommaple.com/item/u4066/used_tanks/

You could use a pressure washer and clean that tank.

Spud

Limitpusher
12-15-2013, 07:31 PM
I can clean mine just fine.

markct
12-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Not sure i understand the original question, why wouldnt you be able to wash it? Just takes longer is the only difference, semi truck tankers larger than that are washed all the time, 6100 gal realy isnt that unusualy large in the world of tanks

maple maniac65
12-16-2013, 05:38 AM
can a plastic tank ever really be clean considering the surface is porous. Climbing in one to clean it is a hazard in itself.

Dave Y
12-16-2013, 06:47 AM
The bigger the tank the easier it is to clean.

ToadHill
12-16-2013, 04:38 PM
I think the question is how to clean a tall vertical tank? In other words, how do you reach up into the top of a tall tank to get it clean?

palmer4th
12-16-2013, 06:33 PM
^^^^ thats correct I was wondering if its possible to get inside a plastic vertical tank. The plastic hatch on the top does not seem that big, I have a 150 gallon truck tank and I find it hard to clean it at the end of the season.

BreezyHill
12-17-2013, 09:54 PM
The hazard is very real in these tanks. Many have lost their lives going in them without air tanks. One person died in a brand new tank and was installing a long drop neck and trimming it. Used up the oxygen on a warm day and sofocated. being a dealer for GVM and selling liquid molasses feeds for several years, we were told some really sad stories over the years.
The easiest way to clean them is with a pressure washer with an angle head so you can wash the top. Be careful if sticking your head in as some cleaning products have nasty fumes that will build up in the tank. A few lung fulls and you are toast. I have used a air compresser and several hundred gallons of warm water and Clorox solution to disinfect tanks very well. Check your vents first.

Good Luck!

Ben

markct
12-17-2013, 10:09 PM
I go into my stainless tanks every year, the Zero tanks have big lids and arnt very big tanks anyhow so very little danger in those, my 1650 gal milk tanker has just the single 20 inch manhole in the top so I usualy open the valve on the bottom of that one and have a fan blowing fresh air in the top and wash away. I only use warm water to clean them so there are no chemical fume issues to worry about. I still do this all when someone is nearby usualy but realy the danger is very minimal in my opinion. I am well aware of confined space issues and practices in general industry but with sap tanks and just water to clean the only danger realy is oxy depletion and im rarely in the tanks long enough for that to come into consideration even if I didn't have ventilation.

ennismaple
12-18-2013, 02:57 PM
We clean our poly gathering tank several times a season - but that's the younger brother's job! My shoulders are a little too broad for tanks. I might get in but we'd be using a Sawzall to get me out!