PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheeler question

steam maker
11-01-2013, 07:28 PM
So i have a polaris sportsman 500 efi think its a 2010(really my uncles). Was wondering the general feeling on 4 wheeler with tracks compared to snowmobile when the white stuff is on theground. Thinking of getting tracks just because we use the wheeler alot and know it will run when needed. Just dont wanna spend the money on tracks and have them be a joke!! Any input would be handy thanks

Thad Blaisdell
11-01-2013, 07:37 PM
I have the 550 with power steering, bought strictly for the track purpose. Would never look back and certainly would never go back. Picture it as a tank that floats on the snow. Its truly amazing what they will do and where they can go. Without the power steering you may find that its a little difficult to steer but other than that go for it.

maple flats
11-01-2013, 07:44 PM
I don't have a set, but I have watched several promo videos for them, they look like a great product. I just use my ATV with chains on all 4. That is still only good for about a foot of snow if it is crusted on top. With new snow I can go in about 18". After that I need to use the snowmobile. My ATV is also a 500. I'd have a set of tracks if the cost was lower. Most seem to run in the $3000-$4000 range, some are even more.

steam maker
11-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Hmmm i wonder how hard it will steer? Id hate to get them and not be able to turn! But boy would they be nice gettin into the bush for tapping!

steam maker
11-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Thadd theres a place in brownington vermont that has them for 3400 think im gonna call them tommorow

Thad Blaisdell
11-01-2013, 09:40 PM
I have seen the ad on craigslist. That is the same kind I have. The faster you go the easier to steer.

VT_K9
11-01-2013, 11:18 PM
My Father and I just picked up 2 new Polaris 550 X2 machines with tracks. We have the tracks on now and will make some final adjustments (easier done prior to cold weather). From my experience and speaking with others the tracks will definitely make a difference. Our machines have power steering which seems to be highly recommended. I think you could get by without EPS if your woods are relatively open. Good Luck, MIke

TheMapleMoose
11-02-2013, 07:41 AM
We have an arctic cat 650 with tracks and a kubota rtv1100 with tracks. The kubota has power steering and the cat does not. If you have packed trails to ride on the power steering isn't as much if an issue but they are hard on the arms. The cat goes great in deep snow other than trying to steer the beast. When it's time to get rid of the car we will absolutely be getting one with power steering.
When we bought the cat they also installed a clutch kit to help give more low end power to the tracks. In hindsight it was pretty unnecessary. If your wheeler has low range it will be plenty. The biggest problem with a tracked machine for us is they are slow. Especially the kubota. But I would def not install a clutch kit as long as you have low range.

That all being said we love having machines with tracks. The rtv is especially great because we can take all our tools. For general running around and troubleshooting we still prefer a snowsled. They are so much faster and fit into smaller areas.

Chicopee Sap Shack
11-02-2013, 09:11 AM
I have a yammaha grizzly 700 with tracks and power steering that i groom snowmobile trails with and am going to use it to gather sap with a double axle trailer and a 65 gal tank in it. Power steering makes all the difference in the world and low speeds.

Scott

NH Maplemaker
11-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Have had a set of tracks on a Honda Foreman for a about six years now. They work great and would never go back! Love sleds ,but these are real work horses and go anywere ! You will not sorry.

Shawn
11-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Can-Am 650 Can-Am 500 use them to haul sap with and buddy that sugars with us has a Cat with tracks also, good work horses and pulls the load.:cool:

maple flats
11-02-2013, 04:25 PM
It's beginning to sound like I should have gone with tracks rather than getting a sled.

spud
11-02-2013, 05:04 PM
I hope you guy's with the tracks get all the snow.:lol: They say were in for a lot of snow this winter but I hope their wrong. I would like to be all tapped before any big storms come.

Spud

maple flats
11-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Me too. I find it very slow tapping on snowshoes in more that a foot of snow on my steeper sections. A few years ago I had big problems climbing a 50% slope with 4' of snow in the woods. It was very slow going to say the least.

MISugarDaddy
11-03-2013, 04:56 PM
We have tracks on our Kubota RTV1100 and use it to haul all our sap. We used to use snowmobiles, but now we seldom pull them out because the Kubota is so much more functional. As was said earlier, you don't set a world speed record with it, but it is nice to be in out of the weather. Two years ago we went from 3' of snow when we tapped to mud in just one week and the tracks really helped to not tear up our trails, we stayed on top of the mud instead of cutting in like a wheeled vehicle would have done.

tonka
12-12-2013, 10:02 PM
I just bought a Polaris 570 with tracks. The 570 dose not have power steering and while turning with the tracks I can't complain, it takes a bit more effort but not much compared to one with power steering. I plan on using the rig here this spring while hauling sap out of the woods, thinking about either getting another 65 gallon tank or just buy one 100+ gallon tank to have on a sled/trailer type setup with a small pump on to empty out holding tanks, it should make quick and easy work getting the sap out of the woods. Keep in mind, if your trails are narrow and with sharp turns, you will have to do some brush cutting because the turning radios is more then if you where to have tires on.

farmall h
12-15-2013, 03:47 PM
I have the Tatou 4S tracks and Thad is correct...they will go anywhere plus you have about a foot more of skid plate clearance. I purchased mine from the place in Brownington Vt. $3100 2ys. ago. They do steer a little hard...just have to plan your route. They tend to steer fine as your moving. I have a 2008 500HO...plenty of power. may have to install them tomorrow..received 11" of snow last night. :)

farmall h
12-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Just be certain to get the proper mounting hardware for your model machine...

Radnagel
01-11-2014, 04:11 PM
I could not afford the tracks option when I bought my yamaha grizzly 550 with efi and power steering. But I could afford the plow with the big blade like the county snow plows have. So I live 3 miles from the trees I tap. When I am done plowing my driveway I simply run down the road angle that big blade drop the blade about an inch from the ground and open up my trail through the woods which goes by most of all the trees I tap. This I don't need the tracks because my trail is always clear of snow. I don't always open the trail after every snow fall unless there is a lot of snow. Then during sugar season I just haul out the buckets out on a little 4x4 trailer behind the wheeler. Tip I do have to give you is to find the widest trailer tires you can find instead of skinny tires these tires seem to float more which makes pulling it with the wheeler easier and also then the wheeler doesn't seem to tear up the trail as bad. And I never load over a 100 gallons in one trip. I will just make mutiple trips. easier to make lighter mulitple trips then it is to get a wheeler unstuck I always figure. good luck hope this helps.

Chicopee Sap Shack
02-02-2014, 10:44 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/03/uhu3ujaj.jpg
This is my set up 65 gal tank no problem.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steam maker
02-24-2014, 07:08 PM
Well let me tell u fine trader folks, finally i made a wise decision!!!! It was the best 3500 bucks spent ever!!!! That 4 wheeler with tracks goes anywhere !!!!man did they save time , would recomend them 100 percent.

Chicopee Sap Shack
02-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Tatou tracks are a simple answer buy them buy them buy them. The older bovin tracks are not so good. My unit is a animal in the snowhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/25/abupanur.jpg

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lpakiz
02-24-2014, 08:33 PM
A friend has a Kobota UTV with tracks. He offered to break a trail along my mainlines in knee to thigh-deep snow.
We went out Sunday forenoon and had almost no trouble in that snow. We had to back up a few feet maybe 3 times and move over a foot to continue thru those places. We could make a Y turn but had to gently saw forward and back, never turning real sharp, just a few degrees at a time, but not having any problem with getting stuck or high-centered. Backing up over the fresh track was absolutely no problem.
A lot of money, but that thing will go thru snow. Plus a heater, AC, and radio, dump box, winch, etc.