PDA

View Full Version : Airablo pump problems

upsmapleman
11-01-2013, 11:55 AM
I have a Airablo 7 &1/2 hp vacuum pump that I bought new about 5 years ago. Every year I have the same problem. The pump works great during season. I make sure there is oil in it when I shut down and several times when I walk by I turn it over by hand. every year when I first start it up the vanes just dis ingrate when it reaches full speed. Put new ones in works good thru season next year same problem. They just don,t break all three are just a pile if chips. I turn it over by hand several times before I start it so I know they are not stuck. It acts like the oil breaks them down over time. I have a milker pump converted to flood oil and it has ran for years no problem, but the vanes are like heavy plastic. The ones in the Airablo are like fiber board. At almost $400 a set this has gotten old. Anyone else have this problem? What am I doing wrong over the summer?

Sunday Rock Maple
11-02-2013, 05:27 AM
Not sure, we have a five horse with no issues. Perhaps the oil type is not compatible with the vanes, or you have low voltage and a high starting tourqe? What does the dealer say?

maple maniac65
11-02-2013, 09:31 AM
same here no problems with my 5 horse 8cfm airablo. pump just runs and I do nothing to it in the off season. change the oil every other season.then recycle that oil in a old farm pump. then undercoat the truck with that old oil.

TheMapleMoose
11-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Yeah, sounds like something is breaking down the carbon vanes. Could be the oil. Leader told us absolutely never use anything but airablo oil.
In the instruction manual it says to suck in a cup of either diesel or kerosene, can't remember which, before the seasonal shutdown. We've never done it because I'm pretty sure kero will break down the vanes

lpakiz
11-02-2013, 11:49 PM
I read a post from someone( Breezy Hill?) that said rust could develop in the rotor housing and destroy the vanes without some kind of moisture trap? Could you disassemble one end cover and check for rust before starting up next spring? Perhaps the vanes polish out the rust about the same time they disintegrate?
Or could a surplus of oil find its way behind the vanes, then not get squeezed out before operating, thus creating extreme pressure on the vanes? But you did say you rotated by hand, so that should not be the issue, unless there is still somehow oil behind the vanes when you apply full RPMs. Perhaps you could pre-spin the pump relatively slowly with a cordless drill and socket for several minutes? Just a WAG.....

upsmapleman
11-03-2013, 06:07 AM
I will need to check with the company and see what they say. I have a starter on the motor so they come up to speed gradually. I have been using D&G flood vacuum oil so maybe that is the cause. I have 2 moistuer traps before the units and have not had a problem with water and have not noticed any rust. Its like something eats the vanes up, there isn't a piece bigger than a quarter in the bottom of the pump when I tear it apart.

TheMapleMoose
03-17-2014, 11:57 AM
I've got a new 8cfm model and when it turns on it won't pull any vacuum immediately (even dead headed). The oil in the sight glass doesn't move right off either. Almost like it loses it's prime or something. After a few minutes it will start sucking and charge right up. Never had our other 8cfm do this. The only difference between the two is the cooler on the new one. Maybe I've got a vein that sticks in until it spins for a minute?

maple maniac65
03-17-2014, 12:24 PM
I've got a new 8cfm model and when it turns on it won't pull any vacuum immediately (even dead headed). The oil in the sight glass doesn't move right off either. Almost like it loses it's prime or something. After a few minutes it will start sucking and charge right up. Never had our other 8cfm do this. The only difference between the two is the cooler on the new one. Maybe I've got a vein that sticks in until it spins for a minute?

How cold is it out? when you try to start the pump up. I was told if starting one in cold temps to drain some oil out of the bottom and put it directly into the pump. It akes a minute to build vac with a cold pump. Just be careful not to drain moisture out the bottom of the resivoir tank.

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
03-17-2014, 12:24 PM
It seems like when the oil is really cold, it takes a while for the pumps to start to pull the oil.

TheMapleMoose
03-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Temperature could certainly be the issue. I wanted to run it some to get it set up and get the major plumbing and tubing leaks fixed. It will be shutdown until warmer weather now. I'll see how it works then. Thanks.