PDA

View Full Version : What kind of stack pipe to use for a 2x3

Birddog
10-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi,

I'm hoping for a little advice on the type of pipe to use on my mason 2x3. I don't know a lot about wood burning stoves and chimney pipe etc. At the local big box stores I see single wall 24 gauge, double wall pipe, Duravent pipe (insulated double wall). Black pipe, galvanized, stainless steel. The cost varies significantly from one to the next. I'd sure appreciate any advice on what might be a must have and what would be a nice to have. For at least one year I'm going to either have to go through a wall of a temporary shed, out the door of a garage or boil outside until I can build a sugar shack(not in the budget this year). Last spring I boiled just inside the garage on propane with the door wide open and the steam just rose straight out the door. That setup worked well but now I have to deal with a smoke stack and more steam so still trying to figure out something that will work short term.

Any advice would be appreciated!

sg5054
10-30-2013, 01:05 PM
If you penetrate a wall or ceiling you must have double wall insulated. The pipes run very hot. Running propane inside the garage is pretty risky. Doors open or not and the fire dept would not be pleased....
I have the same rig and even with double wall, 4ft from the arch you can't put your hand on the pipe. If you are outside in the open then single wall will be okay. I did that for the first 2 years.

delivron
10-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Most evaporators use single wall and then have a roof jack that serves as a insulator between the stack and the building. A cupola is used to exhaust steam out the top before hoods became popular. I have seen fiberglass sheets that have gone up toe the cupola then rain gutters to catch condensation to run water away from dripping back into the evaporation pans.

Well, welcome to maple. It just calls for more and more improvements as you grow.

Birddog
05-19-2014, 10:22 AM
I thought I'd provide an update and ask for some input. So I went with the double wall, insulated pipe. Using a Mason 2x3. Ran into a problem. The inside lining of the pipe melted in the first two sections of pipe. It actually burned away in most of the first section and collapsed in the second section. Wow - I guess I was runnig the blower too hard and generating too much heat blowing out the stack. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to handle the heat that the blower generates (different pipe or ?) or is the only answer to make sure I don't run the blower so hard? It looks to me like the gauage metal they use on this pipe is pretty light.

Thanks for any input.

Super Sapper
05-19-2014, 11:13 AM
The insulation in the double wall kept the heat in on the inside pipe and caused higher temps on the metal than single wall would have. If it wasn't stainless the heat produced from an evaporator will burn the metal up on the insulated double wall. I would go single wall until you reach where it exits the building and then use double wall until you get outside if you want.

Birddog
05-19-2014, 09:25 PM
Does anyone have a good source for heavy gauge single wall pipe. The stuff at Menards looks like 24 gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Sapper
05-20-2014, 05:06 AM
Watch on Craig's List for some stainless steel. I would think 6 inch would be good for a 2 X 3. I got 16 feet of 8" double wall stainless steel for $100. I only use the stainless inner wall.