PDA

View Full Version : First Test Boil

MapleMark753
10-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Got in our first test boil on the Lapierre 2x5 today. I was pumped, nervous, and in the end pretty satisfied. Got about 18 GPH loading 5 or 6 pieces of wrist sized hardwood every 12 minutes for about 2 and a half hours. It kept boiling vigorously so I stuck with that. Used permeate from the EZ 125 to run it. I didn't try to run it hard, and kept the level probably a bit too deep (2 inches and a hair more in the syrup pan, about an inch and a half over the flues in the back). I think it will do more GPH as I get used to it and more experienced. I DO have a couple questions, probably easy ones for those with experience on regular evaporators. 1) Will regular Teflon tape hold up to the heat in screw in plugs and connections? (Not the sanitary connections, they worked great) I have to re-do a couple slow drips. 2) Is adjusting the flue pan float as easy as turning up or down the long screw with the nut on it in the middle of the float? When it looked like the level was getting too close to the top of the flue I just held down the float for a few seconds. 3) The boil was throughout, and to the back of the flue pan, but much less vigorous there at the back. Is this normal or did I do something wrong? The syrup pan also boiled throughout the three sections, but a bit less so at the very front section where the drawoff is. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice given.
take care,
Mark