PDA

View Full Version : Way to Tighten Wire

SeanD
10-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Next season I am putting up a dumping station and running 1" hose down to the sugarhouse. I'm going to zip tie the hose to a wire that will run about 80' from a 4"x4" post down to a tree next to the sugarhouse. The wire and hose will come down each season.

My question is about tightening the wire. I'm looking for something like a come-along - something that ratchets the wire tighter, but has a release to loosen it. I don't know what it is called, so I don't know how to look for it. Any ideas?

Sean

whalems
10-25-2013, 09:26 PM
ratchet straps work

unc23win
10-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Well depending on the size of the wire you could use a high tensil fence ratchet. You would have to buy a handle that is used to tighten it. All available at TSC. You also might want to try using wire ties instead of zip ties I tried zip ties and they broke easy I don't think they like the cold and they didn't seem to go as tight either although I didn't try the real big ones. Plus if you use wire ties you could reuse them easier.

SeanD
10-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Great. The in-line strainer for electric fence is the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks for the tip on zip ties as well.

Sean

ennismaple
10-28-2013, 12:47 PM
We have used zip ties in the past but have changed to wire ties because you can get them tighter. If a branch goes over the mainline the zip ties can break for 10 or 20 feet in each direction. Another option to tighten the wire is a hand crank.

SeanD
10-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Is the hand crank the one that has a spool in the middle and a handle on the outside similar to a hand can opener? The ones I've seen look plastic and weaker than the metal ratchets I've seen. Have you had luck with those?

king of divide
11-23-2013, 01:30 PM
I would suggest a good set of come-a-longs, coupled with a good wire gripper. My come-a-longs are "lug alls" not sure if thats a brand name or model. For the gripper, you cant go wrong with klein tools, chicago style grip. Just tie top end securely with 5/16 ubolts, at lower end put wire around tree, with protector of course, make loop in end of wire, and attach and crank. When tight secure with u-bolts. Come-a-longs and grippers can be purchased reasonably online....

king of divide
11-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Get good come-a-longs. Boat winches, ratchet straps, fence tighteners,etc. may work, or get by, but safety is a big concern in this part of sugar bushing. Also if you want longevity of your tools,especially ones as important as these, splurge a little. Like i said, shop around online. Fairly affordable.

BreezyHill
11-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Gallagher In Line Strainer. Cost $2.50...handle is a 1/2" ratched or a breaker bar. Designed to rollup about 50' of wire and wont break or weather like come alongs and ratchets. There is two Gallagher tools, Rapid Tightener handle for around $80 or a cheaper non ratcheting handle for around $20.
Straps capacity is only a few feet. So you need to to achieve good tension of a slack wire.

Rapid tighteners will do the job in under two minutes to roll in 50' and lock it tight.

Careful of rotary drum ratchet fence tighteners they spread under tensions of 300#. They were originally designed for horse fence as the break away point when horses would spook and run thru the fence.

Wire ties are the way to go. Take the wire and mains done as one unit.

Good Luck!

Ben