PDA

View Full Version : Collection bucket tips and evaporator tips for a beginner

JEHardy01-Ohio
10-24-2013, 10:49 AM
2012 was my first year for making syrup. I put two taps into one tree, ran hoses to two 5 gallon buckets at the base of the tree and came back a week later to find them overflowing. In total I collected around 20-30 gallons of sap and successfully boiled it down to maple syrup. This year I am planning to tap 10-15 trees and see what happens...

Here is my question...my property is 2-3 hours away so the best I can do is go there every weekend to check buckets. 5 gallon buckets are obviously not large enough to collect sap for a week. Does anyone have any suggestions on some inexpensive containers that might hold 20-30 gallons? I think this might be large enough to get me week to week.

I am also looking for an inexpensive evaporator option. Does anyone have ideas? My hope is to boil over an open fire, maybe surrounded by concrete block to contain the direct the heat. I've been debating having a shop build a large container for me. I'm assuming that one of the keys to boiling large amounts is keeping the heat on (I've got access to plenty of firewood) and having lots of surface area so the water can evaporate. Am I on the right track? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jason

unc23win
10-24-2013, 11:07 AM
For storage figure 1-2 gallons of sap per day x number of days. Plastic drums is something that might work just check the labels and make sure they weren't previously used for chemicals or something. A drum set on its side would be lower and allow you to get the right slope without climbing trees. I would cover them with snow if there is any to keep the sap colder since you won't be collecting each day. Maybe just have a few extra put the cap on the full one ad roll it away then put another one in its place. You might want a few separate ones to make sure you don't overflow.

There are evaporator discussions and plans in the evaporator section.

JEHardy01-Ohio
10-24-2013, 12:46 PM
thank you! I'll check out the evaporator section

psparr
10-24-2013, 01:59 PM
If its just for your own use, get some 18 gallon totes.
I use 5 gallon buckets and only get to the cabin on weekends.
Put the buckets on the north side of the tree. Only had one week last year where the sap went bad.