PDA

View Full Version : Bricking 2x8 drop flue

palmer4th
10-21-2013, 09:00 AM
I need to insulate and brick our new to us 2x8 drop flue. I am planning on using 1" rolled insulation behind the brick. I was wondering the steps you guys took when you bricke your arch. Did you adhere the insulation to the arch or just let it sit between the bricks and the arch did you back butte the bricks so they would stay attached to the insulation? Any tips will be helpful!

Maple Ridge
10-22-2013, 08:44 AM
They sell a insulation backer board which may work better than roll insulation. If you search the internet, you will find the information you are looking for. WF Mason has instruction on bricking an evaperator also.

Daves Maple Farm
10-22-2013, 06:04 PM
We have a Smokey Lake 2x8 drop flue. Used 1 inch fiber blanket then 1/2 brick on top of that. Used fire brick mortar on bricks. I am sure
some of the mortar squeezed out onto the fiber blanket. Never had any trouble. Just be darn careful when you put the wood to it that you don't
smack the bricks hard and loosen them up! Hope this helps. PS...put electric heater in fire box when we were done and turned heat up to Hi
to help mortar dry. Left it in their for 3 days.
Dave

Ryan August
10-29-2013, 05:16 AM
I came on to post the same question for a mason 2x4 HO flatpan set up. I have read a few post in the past where people take and bring the arch aspect up to 2-3 inches from the base of the pan. Right now I have 9 inches which will become 6 inches (brick plus fire blanket). Any thoughts out there? and it sounds like no morter purposely on the fire blanket, do I understand correct.

Birddog
10-29-2013, 09:36 AM
I recently finished bricking my Mason 2X3. I used the 1" Arch board and then 1/2 bricks on top of that. I just set the arch board in place fitting it fairly snug so that it stayed in place and then bricked over the top. I tried both the refactory cement mix (dry) and the premixed (wet). I felt the premixed worked much better. The premixed was a finer consistency and was a lot easier to work with. Everything feels pretty solid now but I'll see how it goes after I get a chance to test it. I have a new appreciation for brick masons. I hope this helps.