PDA

View Full Version : Divided pans?

MImaplerunner
10-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Hi everyone I am new to the site and have never made syrup before, I plan on starting this next spring. I have a question about flat pans with dividers in it. I understand how it works at least I think I do lol. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the sap comes in at one end of the pan and moves through the sections as the sap boils down and becomes more dense and you draw off the syrup at the other end. If im correct on that info, how do you finish all the sap that is in the pan once you run out of sap to boil without scorching the syrup? Do you just draw it off and do the rest in a batch process? Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

MImaplerunner

SeanD
10-19-2013, 08:14 PM
You won't finish off all the sap if you are drawing continuously. Once you shut down for the night, the unfinished sap stays in the pan until you boil again. Next time, instead of starting up with 2-3% sap in your pan, you'll have sweet with a much higher sugar content and you'll be drawing off earlier in your next boil.

Sean

MImaplerunner
10-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Alright that makes sense thanks for the info! I guess I was thinking you had to finish the sap once you started it.

MImaplerunner

Ausable
10-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Hey! I have a small - basic - simple - homemade - continuous flow evaporator. They are faster then doing it in a batch pan. If You have any more questions just ask. I did a lot of experimenting before I had it figured out. My divided pan is 2' x 5' and has 5 sections - two for sap and 3 for syrup and all interconnected. I also have two isolations plugs I can insert when shutting down to keep what is in the sections from blending together and defeating the purpose of the divided pan. Next time I fire up I'm back to making syrup a lot quicker. -----Mike-----

psparr
10-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Just make sure you don't have too much pan for the number of taps you have. Nothing more frustrating than getting it fired up just to shut it down in a half hour when your out of sap.

Wood burn
10-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Do you have any pics of your pan ? I'm about to get my hands on 2x4 x18"h flat bottom pan that I would like to put dividers in . I'm getting the pan for 75 bucks its stainless and comes with a drain I think the price is alright just hope modification don't cost too much .

SeanD
10-23-2013, 10:24 PM
That's a very good price. Just be sure it's lead free. If you are in doubt and it has been soldered, bring a lead test kit with you.

Go Sox!

eustis22
12-13-2013, 01:27 PM
This will be my first season with a divided pan and I'm still unsure at what stage the drawoff is supposed to happen? Is the syrup drawn off ALMOST done or it is all done? Do I go by temp or density? Should I always keep the level at 2 inches or can I make it deeper as the sap run continues? What happens when the season is done and I still have....for lack of a better word.....product....still in my pan? Do I finish what's left by hand? Thanks.

markct
12-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Just make sure you don't have too much pan for the number of taps you have. Nothing more frustrating than getting it fired up just to shut it down in a half hour when your out of sap.

Years ago I had that problem when I first got my 2x8 evaporator, then a couple years later I had to add an ro so I wasn't boiling around the clock! The problem of too big of pan rarely lasts long!

Super Sapper
12-14-2013, 05:33 AM
eustis22, you can draw off a little light, right on or a little heavy it is your choice. I prefer to do it a little on the heavy side, one or two points over and correct when bottling. If you draw off light you can finish in a turkey fryer or other pot. You should use density for final determination but temp can be used to get you close. The temp of finished syrup can change daily and you will need to check it each day you boil. At the end of the season you will need to empty the pan into something to finish to proper density. As far as depth in the pan go as low as you are comfortable with, 2 inches is a good place to start. The deeper the liquid the lower the evaporation rate. Try to keep a constant level if possible.

Ausable
12-14-2013, 06:26 AM
This will be my first season with a divided pan and I'm still unsure at what stage the drawoff is supposed to happen? Is the syrup drawn off ALMOST done or it is all done? Do I go by temp or density? Should I always keep the level at 2 inches or can I make it deeper as the sap run continues? What happens when the season is done and I still have....for lack of a better word.....product....still in my pan? Do I finish what's left by hand? Thanks.

When You are out of sap and want to empty your divided pans it is fairly easy if some of the sections have isolation plugs or gates. My homemade rig has five sections - two for sap and three for syrup. I have an isolation plug I can insert between my last sap section and my first syrup section and also between my second syrup section and last syrup section. It is just a case of moving the product ahead with a scoop and filling the space from the sections behind it. Ok You draw off syrup from your last syrup section with your isolation plugs in place. when near the bottom scoop the product forward from the near syrup sections and into that space - scoop the product forward from the sap sections. Fill the void in the sap sections with water and boil some more and repeat. I think You have the idea. In the end your rig is full of boiling water and the Maple Syrup (for the most part) is saved. Let the Arch fire die and deal with the water in Your pans. Hey! Any more questions? Just ask - If we know the answer we will be glad to help as others helped us and still do. Have Fun. ----Mike----

maple flats
12-14-2013, 03:47 PM
As soon as you get comfortable boiling at 2", reduce to 1.5. Proceed until you are totally familiar with boiling, then reduce to 1.25 and finally boil at 1" or even 3/4". You will get a faster boil at the shallower depths, but you must pay attention to what is happening. Keep a bucket of fresh sap to dump in if a problem suddenly arises.
I run my back pan at 1/2" and my front at 3/4" if i am not trying to do anything else. If visitors or a second task come, I leave the back pan at 1/2" but raise the front to 1-1.25" for a margin of safety.