PDA

View Full Version : Tubing Spooler

chandler37
10-19-2013, 08:20 AM
My first spooler I built real quickly out of a threaded rod and a some plywood for a base. This year I was replacing over 2,500 ft of 5/16 tubing and wanted to come up with a better idea.
Looking for a base that would be lighter than plywood I settled on using the dish from a old retired satilite reciever.
Than a lenght of 1/4 theaded rod. a plastic pail of the correct diameter so as the roll of tubing fit snug over it
A short lenght of flat strap metal bent into a hook. Drilled a hole in the dish, bucket, and strap.
I had tubing from two different vendos and so I built a second one with a plastic one gallon jug.
The only set back with the one that has the bucket; in order to change out a new roll of tubing I have to disassemble it. If I would remove the lid and turn the bucket over, this problem would go away

maple flats
10-19-2013, 04:45 PM
My first spooler was also made with a plywood base (about 20" diameter?). I then used 4- 1/2" pvc tubes about 12" long. I drilled 4 holes (in a 10" circle pattern) in the base to thread 1/4" threaded rod thru, up thru the tubing and thru one of 4 holes thru a 6" plywood disk. I assembled the rest and finally I made a large eye hook (to hang onto 3/4" or 1" mains) with a long threaded shank. I put a double nut on the shank all the way up and tight. Then the shank was put thru a center hole in the 6" plywood, put a few flat washers on the shank and then another double nut, jambed tight. The hook was left free to spin. That worked very well, but as chandler37 says, it was a little heavy, even though the plywood was only 1/4" thick.
After a few years I won an official spooler at the Jan. Maple Conference as a door prize. The homemade one sat idol until I gave it to yeastpimp.
I also made a real big spooler for 3/4" to 1.5" mainline (it likely would do larger sizes but my largest is 1.5"). That one is like a large electrical wire wooden spool, except there are 6 pipe spindles with floor flanges on each end. For this I remove the holding nuts off one side and lift the 56" wooden disk off. Then I lay a roll of tubing on it the upright pipes with threaded rod to tie the side together. Then I set the top back on and tighten the nuts. At this point I use a spooler attachment I made on my 4x8 trailer I haul everything into the woods on. Then my ATV just hauls the spooler into position on the trailer and we pull the tubing off and walk the pre-determined route. I have some changes in mind to make this spooler more user friendly, but it works.