PDA

View Full Version : Oil tank evaporator

Wood burn
10-15-2013, 08:49 PM
I've got a few questions would it be ok to use a door with a windows in it on my evaporator or would I lose to much heat? The door is off of my old wood stove . Also dose the stack need to come out the top or can it come out the back . I would like to do this so that I can fit a larger pan on the evaporator . My evaporator is going to be made out of a 275 gallon oil tank .

bowhunter
10-16-2013, 05:58 AM
If the door was good enough for a wood stove, it's good enough for a homemade evaporator. You won't notice that much difference in efficiency vs a solid door. The stack can come out the back as long as you have enough vertical stack. Some of the smaller hobby evaporators have the stack coming out the back and sometimes they're routed horizontally through the wall before the vertical stack. You might need to add an extra 3 feet or so of vertical stack to compensate for the additional elbow.

Wood burn
10-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Thx for the reply any information is great . How deep should the fire box be the tank is only 24 inches wide and should I insulate under the grate where the ash will fall ?

psparr
10-18-2013, 01:30 PM
No need to insulate under the grate, but be sure to insulate everywhere else. The thin steel will warp quick.
My fire box is about 2' but I extended mine to 6' overall. When I get home I can put some pics hete for you.

psparr
10-18-2013, 01:31 PM
No need to insulate under the grate, but be sure to insulate everywhere else. The thin steel will warp quick.
My fire box is about 2' but I extended mine to 6' overall. When I get home I can put some pics hete for you.

Wood burn
10-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Thanks some pic would be great .

psparr
10-18-2013, 03:29 PM

Here's a video of it in action.http://youtu.be/whRR8BlfocY

Wood burn
10-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the pics it's very much appreciated . What is your gph are you using any kind of blow to help
Out with your evaporation rate?

psparr
10-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Getting about 17with just natural draft. If you keep after the fire it gets better.

campus189
10-21-2013, 06:05 PM
I like your door. sweet and simple :)

psparr
10-21-2013, 06:20 PM
I like your door. sweet and simple :) Yup. Just cut out the opening and welded angle onto the cutoff piece. Same with the draft door, just no angle. Make sure you insulate well or everything will warp bad. Had the ceramic blanket just wedged between the angles of the door. Needless to say after a while the stuff shrinks a bit. It fell out mid burn and I had to hammer the door back into shape after I shut down.

campus189
10-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Yup. Just cut out the opening and welded angle onto the cutoff piece. Same with the draft door, just no angle. Make sure you insulate well or everything will warp bad. Had the ceramic blanket just wedged between the angles of the door. Needless to say after a while the stuff shrinks a bit. It fell out mid burn and I had to hammer the door back into shape after I shut down.

I tend to over complicate things.
I was going to buy one of the deluxe kits at the store.
Now after seeing yours, I changed my mind.
Thanks

optionguru
11-07-2013, 10:06 AM
I did mine a little more basic but it works pretty well. I use 3 stainless steel 6" deep steam table pans to keep the cost down. I have thought about putting real pans on it but I can't justify it, mine boiled at 7gph last year and with this years improvements I'm expecting to get 9 to 10 gph. I agree with psparr, insulation is very important. I firebricked about 1/2 way up the tank in the firebox area and you wouldn't believe how much heat was being lost out the side of the oil tank above the fire brick. Also as you can see in other pics you have to install a baffle of some sort to keep the hot flue gasses up by the pans towards the back.

psparr
11-07-2013, 01:41 PM
I tend to over complicate things.
I was going to buy one of the deluxe kits at the store.
Now after seeing yours, I changed my mind.
Thanks I was going to do the same, but am very satisfied with the door. Its bigger than the Vogelzang door and I couldn't justify the $40-$50.

SevenCreeksSap
11-07-2013, 06:19 PM
I stretched mine to 8 ft, when cutting the back part narrowed the flue area to 8 inches, and used one of the ends of the tank as a stack base out the top. the first year with it no arch blanket just bricks and got maybe 12 gph with good fire. Last season got 1 in arch blanket and laid in first, then the bricks to hold heat. on good day got up to 22 gph (8 ft pans) as good as I could tell, at least 20 several times. much improved and well worth it on a long boiling day. I had enough blanket that I did put it under the grate, thinking it would maybe make the bottom last a little longer, and also holds the heat there. only thing is have to be careful shoveling out the ashes. hope this link works to a pic
http://mapletrader.com/maplegallery/data/544/thumbs/100_2684_800x600.jpg

campus189
11-08-2013, 10:05 AM
I was going to go with wood.
Decided to try oil.
If I don't like performance of oil, I will go with wood.
This is definitely a challenge.lol

bigjohnsons
11-12-2013, 08:24 PM
optionguru, I am planning on making mine very similar to yours except using 4 pans. I have a couple of questions? How did you hold the fire brick in place? I noticed that you only put the fire brick in the front and not up the ramp, I was planning on doing the whole inside but your way would be more cost effective. If you could post more pics I would appreciate it. Thanks

optionguru
11-13-2013, 04:48 PM
I figured the brick around the firebox would be good enough for me. I may put the fire blanket around the rest to hold some more heat in. Where the sides of the tank start to curve so the brick wants to fall I welded in angle iron just snug enough to hold the brick in but loose enough to replace if it gets broken. I'll get better pics in the next couple days.

madtrapper
11-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Have a look at my pictures I have the start to finish on the building of mine. If I know now what I do I would have done things different. But mine worked out fine. just scored a bunch of free ss to make some pans etc. let me know if my pictures help. 8143

optionguru
11-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Great step by step pics. I always get caught up in the project and forget to take pics.

Wood burn
11-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Great looking oil tank evaporator . I just cut my tank open over the weekend , I've got the holes all cut out for the doors and should start welding it back together this week . But I have a few questions how close should the ram come to the pan and how deep is your fire box ?

madtrapper
11-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Great looking oil tank evaporator . I just cut my tank open over the weekend , I've got the holes all cut out for the doors and should start welding it back together this week . But I have a few questions how close should the ram come to the pan and how deep is your fire box ?

wasn't sure who this was directed too. My box is 24inchs deep with 1/8 inch b 1x1 inch angle. just wish I put the angle the other way hell when stirring the fire.

Wood burn
11-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all the info guys , I should be welding my arch together this weekend . I'm using 2x2x1/4 inch angle and will be welding it to the top of the oil tank not sure if I should weld it full or just stitch weld it .