PDA

View Full Version : Can you do it this way?

supersapper
10-14-2013, 10:04 PM
I built a 2x6 arch and will need pans. Can I have one pan made, 2x6 overall, with a 2x4 divided sap area and a2x2front syrup area? Or do I need two separate pans plumbed together?

SeanD
10-14-2013, 11:03 PM
You can do it that way, but your life will be a lot easier if you go with two pans. You'll be cleaning the front pan multiple times per season and it's a lot easier to drain and lift a 2' or 3' pan than a 6' pan. God forbid you have a disaster at some point. It will be easier and cheaper to replace a shorter pan than the whole thing.

Sean

supersapper
01-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Why would I have to clean the pan that often? I batch boil now and only have to clean twice a season. Only when I see excessive niter.

jmayerl
01-06-2014, 07:44 PM
You sure could do that. My neighbor has a flat 2x6 pan with 3 dividers running the whole length. Sap goes in back left and goes all the to front then back then comes out the front right. He picks up the whole thing and spins it 180 halfway thru season. Jim at smoky lake makes pans just like that and they are very affordable and top notch quality.

supersapper
01-06-2014, 08:23 PM
That seems like a lot easier setup than having two pans plumbed together.is there a down side to using one 6foot pan with 2 dividers versus a 2-4 rear pan and a 2-2 front pan? I need to order a pan soon and I want to make the right choice.

supersapper
01-06-2014, 08:56 PM
I should add that I will be ordering from smokey lake. They look like VERY nice pans. Maybe he can add some insight when I call..

jmayerl
01-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Down side- yeah it's a big heavy single piece of metal, you burn one section you kinda burned the whole thing. That's really all I can think of. Tell Jim I said hi! I have got 3 sets of pans from him in the past 4 years. Better order fast unless you want your pan in July.

Jeff

morningstarfarm
01-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Are you jumping to a 2x6 with just 20 taps ?

supersapper
01-06-2014, 09:38 PM
I have access to 100+ maples and at least that many box elder. Sap will not be a problem. Boiling time is. Still only looking at producing 20-25 gallons more or less. Not a business, just a hobby.

supersapper
01-06-2014, 09:42 PM
As far as burning a pan, if 1 burns the other will burn. No way to unhook them that fast is there? I don't run them that close to the edge. I am pretty conservative in that respect.

supersapper
01-06-2014, 09:45 PM
I should update my signature. I was running 50taps last year.

morningstarfarm
01-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Just my .02 but if you are going to jump into a 2x6 setup then I say do it right...look for a used evaporator with a flu pan and a syrup pan...either drop or raised is fine..I have run both and prefer raised..but that's just me...your boil times will drop significantly as will your wood cutting time...my 2x6 with 3' pans boiled about 40 gals an hour with a blower...f you are considering an ro in the future then I would go with the 3' pans...again just my .02 and there Are always more trees...I started with 10 and am looking to be at 6000 next season...so much for my cheap hobby that the wife approved...

SeanD
01-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Why would I have to clean the pan that often? I batch boil now and only have to clean twice a season. Only when I see excessive niter.

You may just get less niter than I do. But it might also be because when you batch boiled, everything got dumped into the filter at the end of the day and there was just a little residue left in the empty pan. When you move to a continuous set up, most of the niter that builds up in your first boil will be there at the start of your second boil. Then that niter gets left behind for the next and so on. Eventually it will cook onto the bottom of your pan and that's when you'll start to burn things. So the best fix for that is prevention. I work by myself largely, so I need to be able to move things around easily, so a smaller front pan is helpful that way.

Sean

supersapper
01-07-2014, 11:25 PM
I have already built the arch and I am in need of pans.iwant to go to a continuos flow versus batch. I don't see me trying to pull a 6ft pan or a4ft pan off an arch to avoid a burn. The 4ft one would take longer because of the plumbing. I know that flue pans either raised or drop will boil faster but I am not going to spend 2500.00+ on pans. Just looking to up my boil rate with this new arch. If a 6' divided pan with 2dividers will work I am all for it. If I need to have a 4'x2' sap pan and a2'x2' syrup pan plumbed together to make this work then that is what I will do. As I have stated before, 20-25 gals. Syrup Is what I am looking for. This is going to be a BIG jump for me as I have never done it this way. Maybe a flue pan in the future but not now.

BnSmaple
01-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Jim. Makes a hybrid hobby pan u might be interested in has flues in back divided In front all one pan. Not sure if he makes it for a 2×6 I have seen it in a 2×5

supersapper
02-27-2014, 08:16 PM
So this is what I have to work with this year. 2-2 flat undivided pan and a 2-4 divided pan. I'm planning on using the small pan for a preheater - sap pan and the bigger one as my syrup pan. I have a thermometer at the draw off end. When it's close I will draw. Finish on stove. I know it's not a true continuos flow but hopefully faster than I had with just the 2-2 on a barrel arch. I should add that the 2-4 is a smokey lake pan and the 2-2 is a homemade 2-2 out of 12 ga stainless. Still -10 here with 2 ft of snow and frost down 6-7 ft. Might get a sap flow in June!!!